Denon 3805 / Mission E34 E30 - Keep Blowing Tweeters?! Help

jamesrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm looking for some advice on a reoccurring problem I have.

I have had a Denon 3805 for the past 7 years and the Mission E3 package for the last 2 years, along with my 10 year 77DS as 7.1 setup.

Over the last 12 months, I have somehow managed to blow 5 tweeters from my Mission E34's, E3C and E30's.

I have already replaced two of the tweeters in the E34 fronts earlier this year, but have now blown not only the the centre; but also the right E34 for the second time!

Also both tweeters in in left 77DS have gone too.

Other than the chance that I may have gone deaf and I've compensated with extreme volume. I have a number of theories, but I could really do some insight before I waste anymore money.

1. The Denon has gone bad, despite being fully functional it now likes to pop tweeters. Option 1: Replace the Denon.

2. The E3 package from Mission, has rubbish tweeters. They are prone to blowing, or they don't like my amplifier?

3. This time last year, I have fitted a Bye Bye Standby kit, which cuts the powers to all the devices in the room when I hit the switch before I go to bed. This has the effect of powering off the Denon at the wall, rather than through the standby feature.

Question is, are receivers likely to blow tweeters or send funny voltages when the power is cut without warning in such a fashion? Am I stressing both amp and speakers with this power down method? Is the standby option the reccomended way of powering down a receiver, or shouldn't it matter?

Any other ideas on what could blow tweeters? Help would be very much appreciated. :lease:

James

Have you ever noticed a tweeter go while you were listening to the system? Or are they always mysteriously blown the next time you turn it on? That might decide if it's the power-off that's the problem.

I'd have thought tweeters would be immune to DC transients as the crossover would put them after a high-pass filter that will block DC. But I might be wrong.

1. The Denon has gone bad, despite being fully functional it now likes to pop tweeters. Option 1: Replace the Denon.

2. The E3 package from Mission, has rubbish tweeters. They are prone to blowing, or they don't like my amplifier?

It is probably a combination of the two. Having taken apart and repaired many different models of Mission speakers I haven't seen a single one that didn't use a completely rubbish tweeter module, most have a magnet structure no bigger than a 10 pence piece. This has the effect of making them far more prone to being blown or overdriven due to very poor power handling capabilities.

Hey thanks for your reply, do you think it's feasible to consider replacing the tweeters with something different ?

Is it possible to source better quality parts, that could still work well alongside the existing drivers / crossovers?

Try giving Wilmslow Audio a call. They provided me with some really good replacement tweeters for my Kef 104s in the past. I am sure if you provide them with the speaker type/model or better still the tweeter make/model and dimension they will be able to suggets an alternative.

http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/

the standby power off on your denon will most likely go through a soft ramp down of the voltage across the speakers when you turn off your amp, to avoid damage

using your power standby thing you are killing power directly, without the ramp down, which could cause spikes, and i'd lay money that is the cause of your problem rather than any fault with the speakers.

turn off the amp using the standby first, then kill the power to your unit, you shouldn't be using that on ANY equipment to kill power directly while they are powered on, it's a really bad idea

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom