1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 hum

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dgr6966, Sep 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have had a Denon 3805 for about 10 months and today I noticed a hum coming from one of my speakers. I was pretty close to the speaker, which is why I noticed it. The hum (or buzz) is easily audible with my ear right next to the speaker but is barely audible from about a metre away. All four speakers connected to the receiver exhibit the same hum but the pair of Monitor Audio S1's connected through a power amp to the centre channel pre-out do not hum. The noise is very siimilar to the noise produced by the receiver itself. I couldn't say for certain that the noise hasn't always been there but I listened to my brother-in-law's 3805 and his is dead silent. I do have quite a few components connected but I tried the receiver with all the other equipment disconnected from the mains and the hum was just the same.

Is this typical of a Denon 3805 and did my brother-in-law just get a good one or is my receiver at fault?

D.

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    My receiver is only connected via DL3 and coax spdif right now. These are digital inputs which mute with no signal and mine is silent. I would have to go home and have a play with settings to see if it hums via an analog signal.

3. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The hum on the speakers is evident irrespective of the input selected. I will have to disconnect all my input sources and see if the hum is still there with nothing connected except the speakers. :( If it is I will reconnect my old 3801 and give that a go.

4. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    On a slightly different topic, concerning your MA S1 speakers.
    I have just got some myself, for the main front for my Denon 2700.
    Even though they say they can only take 80 watts, are you happy with the sound they make, when watching movies?
    Thanks

5. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am happy with the MA S1s. I use them as a split centre channel - one either side of my projector screen. I take the centre channel pre-out from the Denon 3805 into a Tag McLaren power amp to drive the two speakers. IMO the Tag power amp does a better job than the power amps in the Denon. The sound from the the S1s seems very clean and authoritative. I certainly prefer the two S1s to the single MA C10 that I used to use for my centre channel before I installed my projector and screen.

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I have listened with an analog input and mine is silent. I can't think of anything else to suggest.

7. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for checking. Just to be sure, with the 3805 turned on but with the volume turned all the way down can you put your ear to the chassis and lsiten? If I do that test then I hear a hum, actually it is probably more of a buzz. I get a similar sound if I put my ear to any of the four speakers connected to the 3805 power amps. I ckecked the MA S1's that are connected via a power amp and there is a very slight hum/buzz but much quieter than the other speakers.

8. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found the source of the hum :thumbsup: I disconnected everything apart from the speakers and the hum disappeared. By reconnecting components one at a time I discovered that it was the connection from the Zone 2 outputs to my TV that was causing the hum. Before when I tried with components connected but everything except the amp turned off at the mains the hum was still there so I suspect the cable may be at fault. I don't think I need the Zone 2 connection though, as the TV is connected via the S-Video monitor output and the VCR-2 audio outs so I have just left it disconnected.

I shoud have tried this before posting but thanks to those that tried to help.