Denon 3805, HK 7500 or Marantz 7400?

S

Samahin

Hello, I need help to choose a Receiver (Denon 3805, HK 7500 or Marantz 7400), my speakers are B&W 600 Series, Fronts B&W DM603 S3, Central LCR600 S3, Surrounds DM600 S3 and Subwoofer ASW 600, I´m looking for 40% cinema and 60% music (classic, rock, pop, ...), what of this receivers it´s better for my speakers and the sound I´m looking for?.

Thanks.

The best advice is to listen to each of them, if possible, with cd's/dvd's that you are familiar with and using a set-up similar to your own (dvd player, speakers etc).

There may also be a question of sound quality verses features. For example, the Denon is the newest model and has features such as auto calibration of speakers which the others do not. I would familiarise myself with current features and establish which ones are important and which ones are not.

Finally, and at the risk of stating dangerous preconceptions, I think that the Denon's strengths are video soundtrack related whereas the HK and Marantz are more musical. I have an HK and B&W 600 range speakers and it drives them with ease.

I have the Denon 3805 but also heard the new HK 630 amp. To my ears the Denon sounded better with cd's than the HK. Clearly there are loads of other variables e.g. speakers, input source, personal taste etc but it was the Denon that had me smiling more listening to my favourite CD's than the HK. I haven't heard the Marantz.

James

I have the SR7400 and can indeed confirm that it is very musical for an AV amp. I'm using it with Mordaunt Short Speakers (see below in my sig for the model numbers) and they suit the Marantz very well, and so they should seeing that Marantz are the official resellers of Mordaunt Short products in Europe.

The Denon is a nice machine, and is a class higher than the SR7400, as is the HK630, but I believe that the SR7400 gets pretty close to these too (and may even be better for stereo music) to be a better buy.

The learning remote on the SR7400 is also great.

Either way, all three amps are great buys, and you wont be dissappointed with either. I do love the look of the new HK receivers though, they look very tasty :D

Thanks for your replys, I can´t listen any of them, where I live aren´t shops for listen that recievers or speakers, anyway, I will buy it in on-line store.

Thanks.

I would spend abit more and go for the new arcam which is out next week - AVR300.

CaM

I know the Denon does video up-conversion to component but does anybody know if the Marantz or HK does?

The harman/kardon 7500 is a completely different beast to the 630. The 7500 uses a completely different chassis and internal components like DAC's. The 7500 also has a much higher spec power supply than all of the amps mentioned thus far, possibly excepting the Arcam AVR300. Saying that, it is difficult to pass comment, never reccomend, the Arcam when it hasn't even been released, yet!

Russell

The HK 7500 don´t have DPLIIx but is a great machine, Denon 3805 have 390 W of power comsumption and it´s possible have 120 W power output for channel?, Marantz 7400 have any pro???, I need help.

Thanks.

I got the marantz the other day and i am very pleased with it, definately sounds like a good all rounder to me. Although i have to admit that i am new to the AV game and haven't got anything to compare it with. I also considered the denon but at 800 quid and the marantz for just 480, i went for the marantz. A bargin if ever i saw one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom