1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 for Stereo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BobsYerUncle41, Jun 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. BobsYerUncle41

BobsYerUncle41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any experience using the Denon 3805 AV amp for stereo? How does it compare to, say, a £200-£300 stereo amp?

Are the internal converters OK for stereo (using a DVD player with digital link) or would I get much better results adding a dedicated CD player with analogue connections (say Arcam CD73, Marantz 7300 or something like that?)

Thanks in advance!

2. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thought I would bump this one up as I'm also interested in the stereo performance of the 3805. Anyone able to comment??? :lease:

3. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    on www.areadvd.de you'll find a bilingual E/German test.
    The guy is almost TOO positive, but read it anyway.
    Cheers

4. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks Barend - very informative even if he did indeed sound a little too keen. My mind is pretty much made up on this now - at £1000 RRP the fact it can be had online for £800 makes it a bit of a bargain. :thumbsup:

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    If it helps any I went to buy a 3803 on the strength of good reviews regarding stereo performance, and it was actually much better than I expected.

Auditioned it against a couple of similar priced recievers and it was noticably better with music.

Internal converters on my 3803 are noticably better than my MF XDAC !

6. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I find the 3805 excellent with cd's. I auditioned it against the HK AVR 630 which didn't sound as good imo. It also has 6 channel inputs for SACD and can handle HDCD's, not that I've got any.

I also have a Cyrus 3 amp which cost me £500 about 5 years ago. It depends on what sort of sound you like I suppose, the Cyrus sounds faster where as the Denon is warmer sounding. With the right set of speakers and cd player the Denon sounds superb. I heard it with a Cyrus 6 cd player and it sounded fantastic.

James

7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,839
  8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    JamesL01:

With cd's you mean stereo performance?
    Did you notice any sound improvement in PURE DIRECT mode?
    Did you notice any detail improvement with AL24 processing turned on?
    Cheers
    Barend

9. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  10. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  11. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest I have just hooked up my CD82 to the Denon 3805 not something I have ever thought of doing before but to my suprise sounded exellent ! or be it not to the same standard as my 2 channel amp.

I tested both with and without my mains filters, which consist of Wireworld stratus 5 IEC cables and a Russ Andrews mains purifer block.

Even with standard cables dynamic range is on a par with £300 2 channel amps that I have heard, although the new generation of Nads and Cambridge Audio 640 may now outclass.

But for a compromised solution would have my recommendation.

Paul

12. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm relieved, because I also own the CD82 and love it.
    I feel I must compromise somewhere, since my room won't hold 2 separate setups (7.1 plus stereo), and as the Arcam AVR-300 stereo performance is said to equal the Diva A65 (which is probably quite good but not top high end either) I'm going to pickup my AVR-3805 today.
    Anyway. I have an Arcam AVR-300 on order for 1265 Euro's for 5 weeks now, but I suspect they'll stupidly try to hand me an AVR-200...if not I'll pay them and run for the door...
    Will post my findings on the AVR-3805...
    First thing (price-wise) I noticed was it's not THAT cheap in the USA after all, since for instance the mike is optional, while we in Europe get it for free...
    Nobody wrote about burn-in, as all things hifi it should be done right?
    Intend to frighten the cats for a few nights, listening to noise... :D
    Barend

13. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Barend

Yes I meant with cd performance. I'm really impressed with the Denon, after using the Cyrus for several years I was concerned that I would be compromising on 2-channel performance. My Denon/M&K setup just keeps getting better and better! :clap:

James

14. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Wow I can't wait to install mine, I once auditioned a Cyrus 7 amp and loved its sound, but less the cabinet, not easily matched to other kit...
    Wonder what the AL24 circuitry does...
    Barend

15. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I did a demo of the 3805 and an Arcam avr300 this weekend, was pretty much sold on the denon by what i read in reviews in mags and opinions here. I found the movie sound to be excellent (as you'd expect) but found stereo very disappointing.

It might have been a setting but i had the guy do the mics auto setup twice and played with the modes but no luck. I would like to point out this is just my opinion and sound is very much down to personal taste.

Anyway left the shop (almost 5 hours later) with the Arcam, IMO awesome in stereo.

16. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can you elaborate a bit on what you disliked about the stereo sound?
    Thanks
    Barend

17. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Played ...

Sugababes - Round Round & Freak Like Me
    Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales
    Massive Attack - Mezzanine

I used pure direct mode. The clarity was very good, i just felt it was lite in the mid-band so to me lacked depth. I did the test at an av shop in one of their demo rooms set up with all my audio kit except the cd player which was an Arcam cd73. Even asked the guy from the shop to have a listen and asked if this is what it normally sounds like, which he confirmed.

We also tried hooking the Denon to a £600 Arcam power amp which helped alot but IMO still wasn't as good as the AVR300 on it's own.

I can't see anything that was done incorrectly.

As an additional note the decision was really hard because although both amps are excellent in movies though they have a different sound. I've been more used to the type of sound the Denon produces with a hard, punchy precise sound. The Arcam is warmer with a more natural sound, effects don't tend to jump out but instead envelope you.

My appologies if any of this sounds confusing but it's the best i can do to describe it.

18. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Did the guy in the shop by any set the resultsfor 2ch in "Normal" mode?
    This (as was pointed out in the review) leads to an overblown sound spectrum, I prefer FLAT for my Denon- but for a fair comparison you should set it to OFF.
    Well, next weekend I will probably own both, so I'll test them both.
    I can tell you now, that the Denon's multichannel performance is really excellent, with lot6s of detail and a lovely bass.
    Barend

19. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually I think the AVR300 is much better sounding than an A65+. I compared it to my A32 and while the A32 was better the difference wasn't night and day.

CaM

20. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the effort!
    So what I myself found re the AVR3805 has been confirm, it is a bit lean in the mid but very fast and precise - hence the excellent surround clarity.
    Barend

21. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    I'm seriously considering the 3805 and need to get my cabling sorted for rear speakers before the new carpet goes down. Does the amp accept banana plugs or is it bare cable ?

22. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    John,

The 3805 accepts bananas.
    Mine is a UK model and didn't have the plastic bungs which you'd normally have to prise out.
    There was another post which mentioned the bungs having to be drilled out, but that was from a member on mainland Europe.

Gary

23. TheJamTartMan

TheJamTartMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, don't just 'consider' the 3805, go out and audition it. But make sure you listen to your music and a similar quality source and speakers to what you will really be using. I found the 3805 sounded awful with M&K K7/K4 combination and Arcam Alpha 6 (yes, very old, but very good) Stereo CDs sounded hard hitting, but a bit confused and just didn't sound like music. The AVR630 was more open and dynamic with far better vocal performance. And, as a high current design, is better at driving the tricky 4Ohm load of the M&Ks for long periods at decent volumes.

But with a different set of speakers the 3805 might be far superior. Other peoples opinions matter nothing compared with your own.

24. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demoed the 3805 compared to the HK430 today via bw603s. To my ears the 3805 had much better control and detailing with complex music. The HK has to be pushed on the tones to get more detail (maybe something to do with 603s - a bit woolly on the bass).

Long-term the build quality of the denon (hollow crap volume control on the HKs) swayed it for me. I thought the denon alot warmer than I had believed.

But as you say it's down to your own ears. The dealer steered my away from the avr300 saying it would be too warm for the 603s.

The 3805 was alot better than the 2805.

25. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    If you want musicality from your AV Receiver, you can't discount the Marantz SR7400 either, definitely one of the more musical AV Receivers out there.

If you wait a little while though, the next gen Marantz Receivers will be out too. The SR7400 probably won't quite be able to take on the amps above for movies (although it is excellent, especially with dialogue) but it will certainly match/beat them for music. The SR7400 can also be had a LOT cheaper than the other amps mentioned above as well.

I don't know when the SRx500 series amps will be out though, but it should be within the next few months.

But again, as it has been mentioned many times, audition the reccomendations here, and then decide, we can help with shortlists, but only you can decide on the final outcome.

26. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Bluesfan,

I am staggered that your dealer steered you away from an AVR300 - the combination of Arcam and B & W is one of the most popular in the market and we use their speakers, amongst many others, when evaluating and voicing our products.

For the record the AVR300 is fine with B & W's 600 series speakers. You may or may not prefer it to the other products you are considering, which is fine by me, but nothing beats a proper and well set up demonstration to help you make up your mind.

If you let me know of the dealer's name I would be prepared to follow this up (a PM is OK).

Sincerely,

John Dawson (Arcam)

27. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This is correct, although the heftier HK's are very good kit, I tried my AVR-5550 against my AVR-3805 in stereo, and the Denon had better soundstaging, you can pinpoint every instrument and you can sorta feel the sound. The HK sounded a bit blurred in this respect, and was more forgiving
    for bad cds, which may be a good thing but actually isn't...
    To its defence I must add at the time of testing I biamped the Denon only.
    Also I noticed the Denon sounds better after 3 weeks use!
    Lots of people don't the difference between detailed and agressive sound...
    Just listened to an old harmonia mundi cd with Elly Ameling singing Der Hirt auf dem Felsen (soprano+hammerklavier+clarinet), clear as a bell and with the clarinet never "hurting my ears"...
    Barend

28. materia

materia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My own personal experience of the 3805 with music is dissapointing (although it is great with home theatre), back to back with the rotel 1056 there is no comparison, suddenly the music has life and pace to it. I would recommend that you auditioned the rotel. I have tested both amps with PMC and B&W loudspeakers.
    Hope this helps.
    Materia OuT.....................

29. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyways, can't afford the arcam or rotel even if it does sound better. I can believe the 300 is very good - but £1300 come on!

I love the build on denons (look heatsinks and no fan) and I think you can tune them to your kind of sound.

Incidentally, the dealer thought the older HK 4450,5550 were better than the new ones. I felt HK needs to improve its build quality. The volume control was so flimsy bit like a crappy console in a car - a no no.

The issue for me was with the 430 without tones on and a boost to the treble to +6 it was very mediocre compared to the denon which didn't any tone uplift.

To 2805 just didn't do it for me at all.

30. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention it was through a HK dvd22 which is a dog's breakfast with hopelessfront buttons thin as a razor blade - so not the best transport by any means for stereo.