1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805, Denon 3910 What Speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pmaddox, Feb 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. pmaddox

pmaddox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to purchase Denon 3805 and 3910. Been reading the reviews, especially on this forum which has been extremley helpful. I don't have a huge room, about 12ft by 12ft and therefore was looking at the Mordaunt-Short Genie OR Castle Compact CC3. The screen will be a Phillips 32" 9986 Ambilight. I am looking for quality music as well as movies.....your experience would be appreciated.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,641
    Odd one- professionally I should say the Genies but the compact makes a strong argument for itself provided.

You junk (or better don't buy) the subwoofer, replace with something better.
    You have a suprising amount of room.

With both of these packs, they sound better as 7 channel rigs so be aware of that as well. I suppose it is worth pointing out, the Genie is cheaper, is its own wall mount and is more widely available but my Dad is a happy owner of the Castle's so I will not admit they are anything other than superb.

3. pmaddox

pmaddox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks....do you know of any good alternative subs for the Genie? 7.1 will be a challenge with the room, the wife wants to use it for other things as well! I've actually got 1/2 of a 12ft by 24ft if you see what I mean. OR reccommend any alternative speakers, I just can't have floor standers....Thanks

4. pmaddox

pmaddox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apologies.....meant alternative sub for the Compact

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,641
    You need an alternative sub for the compact not Genie- Have a look at the BK XL200 or the MJ acoustics offerings. Obviously you can buy better subs for Genie (and why not start looking with those brands) but I don't feel that it is the same issue the castle sub has. If seven channels is a bit of an issue, castle now do seem to make a compact dipole which might do the job.

6. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the 5 or 6 spekers I herad with the 3805 I would say... Quad L series, AE Elite sreies...and maybe Wharfedale Evo series