1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 bi-amp feedback hum

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gilesw, Oct 17, 2004.

Tags:
  1. gilesw

gilesw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I biamped my 3805 as explained in the review to my monitor audio silver 8i's but i get a slight feedback hum at all times. It's very quiet but obviously i'm slightly worried. Wondering if this is normal or anyone else who's experienced this?

I can hear the biamping having an effect on the sound when i vary the zone 2 volume level..

g.

2. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. gilesw

gilesw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response, they've updated the review a bit. I was just worried that the noise i was hearing was a problem. The onscreen monitor of settings seem to have stopped working too although i think it might just be that i've switched it off with some setting.

Any do's my next purchase is to get a dvd player and cd player for this unit. Atm i'm using my xbox to watch dvd's :eek: and a cambridge audio discmagic transport. I have a crappy tv with only rgb scart and no progressive scan so i don't know whether the 2910 universal would be overspeced in terms of vid out features. I'm also concerned about whether buying that denon is just duplicating the dac's i've already got in the amp which i'm already using with this transport... any recommendations ?

g.

4. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No definitive answer here. Some DVD players with DACs are better than those in amps but it's not a definitive rule.

I would have thought if you spread the workload it's better on the amp over heating and that.

5. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    with the dvd player, if u using an digital ouput (optical / coxial) then u wont use the DAC's in the DVD player, only thoses in the reciever (which are good ones in the case of 3805's)

as for the bi-amp, i had the same problem with it. I could hear slight hmm' noise always in it. I think its cos there a little bit of feedback in the amps and when its sent out the pre-out it is then sent back again (making it louder to the level it can be heard), this is probably why denon dont support it - they know its a problem. It wont damage the amps just make a hmm noise which shouldnt be there. For me i could hear it a bit, so i took it back to normal and just did a manual EQ and boosted the bass up. To know my speakers are always on making a faint noise wasnt acceptable, im not sure if it was better with bi-amp as i boosted the bass up to +2db to match. However manual EQ has an +3db to that area and sound pretty much the same to me.

Its never going to be real bi-amp, the added hmm noise, unsupported by denon and the lost of 2 amp wasnt worth it to me. Afteral, its all ran by the same power supply..

6. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you try it both ways around tweeters and woofers (as above) ?