1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 & Banana Plugs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 1ofaKind, Mar 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I have just swapped out my old 3802 for a 3805. However when I came to put the speaker cables in (all have banana plugs on) they would not fit!!

Now unless I'm missing something is there a different size of plug that needs to be used with the 3805 or is it bare wire only.

I could not see anything in the manual or anything obvious on the connectors to enable my standard banana plugs to fit.

Any thoughts?

2. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    most amps come with the speaker terminals
    blocked off in some way either completely or
    partially,you will normally find a small plastic lug that
    can be prised out,or in yamaha's case a small plastic ring
    to be prised out,I would imagine denon to be similar

3. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Met this problem with 2805 but easily solved by looking back over forum!

Get a woodscrew (No 8 size works nicely) and screw it in a little way into the plug in the socket (because it's a tube-shaped plug in a normal banana-sized hole - apparently put in to meet some EC regulation so it can't be confused with a French mains socket!).

Once screw 'bites', keep the the clockwise pressure on it, and you'll find you can pull it out easily. Once you've practiced with one you'll have the others out in seconds.

A bit naughty of Denon that the manual doesn't mention this, nor could I find any supplement unless I missed it.

4. BLS

BLS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've finally bought some surround back speakers and was once again irritated by trying to get the wire in the binding posts on my 3805.
    Luckily I found this post and discovered I had some No.8 screws knocking around - Fantastic! Cheers adrianl
    I'm now off to buy some banana plugs.

5. boulders

boulders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Thanks Adrian, first hit on Google saved me, I was about to remove my banana plugs!:thumbsup:

6. sunnyb4u

sunnyb4u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there i have tried to remove all the plastic from the inside of the banana post caps from my yamaha rx-v359 and i cant see the metal barrel which hold the metal banana plug i can only see the metal point at the fat end of the connector

have they removed this metal barrel or do i have to keep removing the plastic?

i may have a bad feeling that i took too much plastic off