1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 auto setup problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by trusley_mike, Aug 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. trusley_mike

trusley_mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    System:

Denon 3805, 3910, Panasonic 37" plasma, Tannoy Arena 5.1 speakers and sub-woofer. Home made cabinet (wife hated Panasonic one!)

The system, including speakers (very nice!) , works fine. Lots of noise - the opening of Gladiator seemed a good trial!

However, I have been unable to get automatic speaker setup to work.

I plug the Denon mic into the front panel, mount it on a tripod at the listening position, select the option for auto setup and it says "CONNECT MICROPHONE". I select "Start" and nothing happens - it jumps back in the menu in the same way as "Cancel" does. I thought it was supposed to generate test tones etc?

One other question: how does one change Function from the remote? I have to manually twiddle the function dial to select TV and then back to Tuner/DVD. Is this an attempt by Denon to make me take exercise?

2. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    The Denon on-screen UI is really badly designed... Next to the Start menu item is either a left or a right arrow - that's the button you have to press to get it to start, rather than OK. Intuitive, it ain't!

3. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well you don't want the auto setup to run by accident, plus i think it would mention it in the manual...

4. trusley_mike

trusley_mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks SPL23 for the info - auto-setup now done - and showed I had my rear speakers reversed!

I thought we software people wrote bad manuals but I reckon we run a distant second to HiFi manuals!

Can anyone help on the "how to use the function dial from the remote control" issue?

5. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Denon really, *really* need to employ a decent technical author - with products as complex as these, the manuals need to be really clear, and they are among the worst hi-fi manuals I've ever seen

To select input, just press the "AMP" button on the top panel of the remote to put it into the appropriate mode, and use the labelled keys ("DVD", "CD" etc) on the panel underneath to change source.