1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 auto setup, front speakers connected to REL, ok?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by zAndy1, Aug 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Hi,
    If I have my front speakers (anthony gallo micros) connected via a neutrik cable to my REL Q100E should I disconnect it or turn down the volume on that sub input when I'm doing an auto setup? It seems to me that if I have the volume as I'd normally have it then the sub reproduces the bass that is sent to the front speakers when it's calibrating and surely that's going to distort the calibration? Anyone else have their speakers wired up similarly to a REL sub with an opinion?

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    well, not sure how much help i can be as i sadly only have the 3803...lol

but i do have an REL Strata 5 connected by both LFE and hi-level neutrik....

i would say if you use your REL's hi-level all the time then leave it going....it would be the same as if you had big floorstanders with inbuilt sub bass drivers, of which plenty speakers exist...(Monitor Audio GR60's hit 28hz...and your sub isnt gonna be doing much lower than that at conventional levels)

btw, Q100E....isnt that the Quake? i have a Quake, nice little sub for a smaller room.....i needed more punch tho cuz my Monitor Audio Silver 6's actually outdid it for volume quite easily....lol....so i got the Strata 5, much more musical, and still got plenty of thump for movies.....

nehoo, hope i've been helpful........mebbe u could calibrate with and without, see what sounds better once u done it...lol....i'll check back to see what you say cuz i'll be upgrading to 3805 eventually, so will be helpful to know which worked better...heh

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I have a Rel Strata 5 & 3805. When I do an auto setup I disconnect the neutrik,
    because it sends a signal there when it does front speakers. Just connect the LFE input & set volume on sub to half way. After doing auto setup, reconnect the neutrik & either match level to LFE or to taste.

T

4. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Andy,

I was asking a similar question about 6mths ago. I have the 3805 and a Rel Stampede and ended up disconnecting the high level lead as this seemed to be most peoples recommendation on here but I’m still not sure if this is correct as I can see the argument for both ways, might be worth doing a search on here to find those threads.

The set-up sounds great to me though.