1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 and REL Sub Help (strange one!)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Napier, Mar 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

This is a real strange one I hope someone can help;

I went downstairs on Sunday morning to note that my REL strata 5 sub led was off. I switched it off and back on again at the back and it came on and then went again after about 5 seconds of being on. I have not set the timer for the led display to go and all setting on the sub are as per defaults.

To give more detail the sub has been working great for a week, I did a auto setup on the 3805 after simply plugging in the sub. It worked great, amazing base and was really enjoying it. Now there is no base, I was playing the DVD (enemy at the gate) and when there were large bomb emplosions I had no base. I thought maybe the denon lost its config so did a auto setup again.

Now this is the extra weird bit, the REL sub is queried fine, it rumbles away as normal and sounds like its working perfectly with the autosetup. However as soon as I play the dvd again I get no base. The led is off, however if I use the remote or the dial on the front I can configure its settings and the led does come on as soon as I alter any of them. It does sound like it has power as I can identify a slight output from the unit (not base more of a power going through it very slight hardly hearable hum). I am very confused as to what has happened, no settings had changed on either unit.

I was playing music the night before through my dvd player (Denon 3910), the settings on the AVR are set sub to LFE+Main so that means I think that base comes out of both the sub and main speakers base drivers.

Not sure why it is not working, I am going to try other dvd's tonight but the led being off signified something wrong to me, it has always been on before and currently I am unable to get it to stay on. Seems to me like it is switching to standby mode, when the auto setup is performed I think the receiver is triggering it to come out of standby.

Really annoyed as I paid a LOT for all my kit and now one of the best bits is not working anymore :(

Any ideas?
    Anyone experianced the same?
    Any config changes I could try on the denon?

Any help appreciated guys as always your a top bunch :smashin:

Napier

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    The only problem that I have had with my setup is that with the auto power turned on on my Mission sub from my initial setup the sub would sometimes go into standby.

The one of 2 ways I found I could solve the problem was either 1) turn off the autostandby option (but was a pain to remember to keep turning it on and off) 2) reduce the gain on the sub and re-run the auto setup - my non-technical explanation was that this increased the level of signal to the sub and therefore ensured the signal was above the threashold of the auto-standby circuit.

Someone else may have a more technically based solution but both of these have worked for my receiver/sub setup

3. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Last night I solved my weird problem of my sub switching itself off. The reason it was going into some kind of safe mode was because I had the LFE volume up too high for my room. I think the receiver detected this and therefore had a little tantrum and decided not to play with it anymore.

I have since re calibrated with the LFE volume right down, interesting thing is that if you have it too low the mic cannot hear the sub and so calibrates it wrong. I have since gone into the config and manually adjusted it, I will have more of a play with configuring the sound when I get my new detatched house soon but for now it is back to a decent sound. I was watching star wars last night and I have real difficulty knowing what is too loud. With the clarity of my speakers you can talk quite normally due to no distortion even when its on high volume. I am sure the neighbours must be thinking about moving by now :hiya:

So all is well and thanks to everyone on here for support in last few weeks in getting my system up and running. Now just need to show it off to my mates.

One question I have though is if my speakers are 170watts per channel then how loud can they go? I mean in decibel level (not that I would ever test it but its usefull information.... Oh and I have a Denon 3805 so should be able to support most of that power.

Napier