1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 and B&W 705s

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Edgeyboy, Apr 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Hi

I have had a dem of the Denon 3805 and some B&W 705/HTM7/DS7/ASW700.

I have a small 12 x 13 ft room.

When playing 2 channel music the amp sounds fairy happy and reaches loud volumes at -25db. Sound quality is smooth and nice

Switched to 5 channel, the volume control has to be raised to -5db to acheive realistic volumes and the sound quality drops somewhat.

Is the 3805 capable of driving the B&W set ? Would it fair better with the MA Gold 10 / GR Centre / GRFX set up. Is the B&W particularly hard to drive ?

Do I need to look at Denon 1SR / Yamaha Z9 quality amps to get reasonable sound from these types of set ups ?

Many thanks

Tom.

2. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the specs in the Stereophile Review the 705's don't seem the most sensitive speakers, nor do the offer the most stable load dipping to 4.6ohms from their nominal impedence of 8ohms.

So yeah it looks as if you'll need beefier amps - if you're happy with the processing of the 3805 why not go down the power amp route.

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/204bw/index2.html

3. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm not sure how your amp works, but on my one I can adjust speaker levels for each sound setup and input, it's worth a look throught he manual.

The speaker settings for stereo may be different to your 5 channel setup. eg mains set to small on one setup and large on anither setup. The speaker leve;s amy also be different.

In any event I don't think you should have to up by another 20db on your amp to get the same sound level.

I had the same concern when looking for a receiver a while ago, opted for HK as it has bags of power and easily drives the B&Ws, which some makes struggle with.

there is anew Hk amp out that you may want to add to your auditions.

Good luck:thumbsup:

4. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    agree with daz, if you like the processing go with the power amps, but I would have to look at the competition before deciding.

I was originally considering the a rotel setup, but manged to get the ny current amp for a good price.

5. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Checked the CD and DVD inout settings. Speakers on small on both.

I think this must be to do with the extra load on the amp from the extra 3 speakers. The B&Ws must be failry hard work for the 3805, good though it is.

I don't want a 2 box solution. Prefer all in one's.

Would an A1SRA / Z9 be adequate ?

Tom.

6. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup I'm sure they could do a good job, although I think I read something in an American forum about the Yamaha's power supply not being that great. Although the transformer does look massive and the pdf manual states that it is "high current".

Still you're spending a lot, £3k+ on a one box solution when you could spend half of that on power amps.

7. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I run the 703s / HTM7 with the Z9 and it works great. But I am suprised that the 3805 struggled.

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Doublecheck the Channel Levels for each mode as the Denon's store these independently. Press the STATUS button on the front panel and you should be able to cycle thru until you get to FL, C, FR etc. You may well have different settings for 5CH Stereo, Stereo, DIRECT/Pure Direct etc which would account for the volume level difference.

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    An A1SRA would be adequate as it has a more potent amplification section/Power Transformer than the 3805. I run 7 x M&K's (4 ohm) with my Denon KA1SE and it copes without problem (although I have just added a separate power amp to give them even more grunt!).:D

10. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Try out the Bluesky's (6.5) with built in amplification (active speakers)and run pre-outs from the 3805 to the Bluesky's.

Steve.

11. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Jackass: Blueskys are on my list to try. Thanks.

I quite like the B&W 705s but the centre seems to have a tendancy to "shout" a little on speech. The balance is quite forward also.

Jase: I doubled checked everything I just think the 3805 is running out of steam with all 5 speakers.

Tom.