1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 and AE Aelite 5.1 setup help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Macca2000, Sep 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Macca2000

Macca2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I know I'm going to get flamed for asking for help (who spends this much money on kit and doesn't know how to set it up :rolleyes: ) but here goes.

I've got a Denon 3805 linked up (bi-wired - Chord Co Carnival) to a Acoustic Energy Aelite 5.1 speaker package.

Everything is hooked up and working ok (except the surrounds as I'm waiting for the new carpet to be fitted so I can hide the wires), but I'm confused as to what settings I should be using for the speakers / Sub.

Currently the FL and FR are set to large but I'm not too sure what to set the Centre speaker to (I'm guessing small????).

I'm also don't know what setting to use for the Sub - LFE or LFE + Main (I'm guessing LFE) or what to set crossover frequency at. Also does the crossover frequency need setting to the same frequency at both the amp and actually on the Sub itself?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this

Macca

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    All speakers would conventionally be set to large, set the sub to LFE only. (Your speakers are all full range). You can also try other options like setting rears or all to small and make the sub do more of the work but that normally requires a very good sub coupled with speakers like those. However you really need to experiment to find the balance you like best.

ps, try the sub crossover at 100hz and vary up or down to taste.

3. Macca2000

Macca2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that,

One quick question, do you you mean setting the crossover frequency to 100hz at the amp or at the Sub.

Thanks Again

4. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Best to turn the x-over on the sub to max and set the Amps x-over to whatever 80, 100 ect.

Also try selecting all speakers to small-large and choosing whichever sounds best :thumbsup:

5. Macca2000

Macca2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - Starting to make some sense now :)

If I set the x-over to 100hz but the speakers can go down to 50hz (for example), does that mean that everything below 100hz will be sent over to the sub even though the speakers are more than capable of coping with the lower frequencies?

Thanks again

Macca

6. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yes :thumbsup:

And your sub should do a better job of the lower frequencies. But will depend on your sub. Have a play around :smashin:

7. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    We need to remember he has very good speakers, so advising using the sub for all low frequencies may be misguided... However experimentation is the order of the day until it sounds good to you!

8. Macca2000

Macca2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So maybe setting the x-over a bit lower (say 80hz) would be a better starting point?

Also what does setting the speaker size in the Amp to Large and Small actually do?

Sorry firing all these questions at you all - feels like I'm picking your brains clean :D

Cheers

Macca

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I believe setting the speakers to small or large determines what low frequancy sounds are sent to them. THX recommend setting all speakers to small and the sub xover to 80hz. Another setting worth trying.

What does the 3805 auto setup set them up as?

I have heard your speakers and love the sound, power and authority they have. Would love a set :devil:

10. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    A 3805 tells it as it is. My Tannoy MX1's (surrounds) though a bookshelf design are identified as large because they cover the 'full' sound spectrum, not because of their size relative to the MX3 fronts. Your speakers are THX rated though so I suppose following their suggestion is no bad thing.

11. Macca2000

Macca2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's going to feel wrong setting the FL and FR to small - They are bloody huge :)

I'll give it a go and see what it sounds like - The auto set-up put the FL Centre and FR to Large (I've yet to cable the surrounds yet).

At this rate I'm going to be begging someone to come around and sort things out for me :rolleyes:

Thanks Again

Macca

12. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Macca where are you?

13. Macca2000

Macca2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5 minutes outside of Doncaster

14. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Little too far for me to pop up Im afraid :)

15. GliderRider

GliderRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've come in late on this post. With regards all the postings above, I'm in the same boat. I have had a 3805 and KEF Q7's 6.1 for 7 months.
    I'm still playing around with the Config. My FL & FR are big speakers, but I spoke to KEF who were really helpful and advised I set my speaker config to small, X-Over to 80Hz. I've done this and played around with other settings. Overall the sound is awesome playing Movie DVD's in DD 5.1. But it doesn't sound quite right when listening to music. I prefer not to use the sub and listen in stereo (Pure direct) but the Q7's sound flat as though the base isn't being worked? I'm forced to switch the sub on. Is this right? I would have thought with the 3805 and the Q7 main speakers in stereo the sound would be great with loads of base? What am I missing?
    Apologies for chapter and verse. :confused: