1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 and 4 ohm loads?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sapkan, Mar 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does anybody know if a Denon 3805 can drive a 5.1 Blueroom set-up consisting of two 4 ohm megapods, two 4 ohm minipods and an 8 ohm cinepod center? I sam asking because there does not seem to be a 4 ohm switch at the back of the Denon :lease:

2. ian-500

ian-500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi.

I have a 6 year old Denon AVR 3300 and it had no problems driving my Kef Reference 4.2's which are a 6 driver 4 ohm load, and it's now driving my Kef Reference 1.2 fronts, 200c centre and TDM 34DS's. The front 3 are all 4ohm loads.
    I don't think your 3805 will have any problems mate :thumbsup:

Ian.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,838
    It'll be fine, but do remember a 4ohm load on something like the 3805 is not going to make them sing at their best. I'm talking in general here, as I have no experience of the Blueroom kit.

The other thing to remember, and this is something that most people forget, is that impedance isn't a static thing. A speaker may well be rated at 4ohms, but even some of these may dip to as little as 2ohms, which will make any integrated (especially something with a weak power supply like the 3805) struggle. Although that said, I doubt the Blueroom stuff drops that low:)

4. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What would be a suitable receiver then? Any of the popular brands- Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer...

The guy who sells the Minipods over here is offering me a Vincent receiver and claims that it is much more powerful than the Denon, never heard the brand it looks more biased towards stereo than cinema, however.

Pls help

5. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It depends on the power supply of the unit. If you have 10x 100W channels and a power supply rated at 1000W you have very little to play with. A power supply rated at 2000W with the same channel settings would be much better. Have fun searching.

6. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As far as I know the Denon is 7x120w= 840w. I am going to be using only 5 of the channels though, whether that makes a difference or not...?!

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,838
    It will make a difference, especially if you can bi-amp the fronts with the spare 2 rear channels (I think this is an option on the Denon). Again though, the figures you've quoted above are Denon's figures, which are misleading. With all channels driven, there's no way the Denon will output that as the power supply isn't beefy enough. It will likely only output 120watts with it running in stereo:)

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,838
    :confused:

9. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    If you're going to drive 4 Ohm speakers with a receiver, look towards the likes of NAD and Rotel. Their quoted power ratings may look lower on paper, but don't let the spec. sheets of most other manufacturers fool you. :)

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Arcam AVR250 and AVR300 will cope easily too.

11. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Remeber that it's current that's important. The likes of Rotel are well known for producing good clean high current amplifiers, power figures can be somewhat misleading.

12. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    120w for 8ohm speakers load, but 160w for 6ohm. So, that multiplication can't be made that way ;-)

If you look at the back of the 3805, you'll see a 390w power consumption. Driving all 7 speakers, one can get at the most about 60-70w, especially on the 7ch stereo mode.

13. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am planning on a good old 5.1 and from what I've heard so far it seems the 3805 would be more than capable of driving the set-up.

14. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The power it consumes is different to what the transformer is producing. Thats the whole idea of a transformer it transforms what is coming in to a different figure. You may find its 230V 390W in but 150V 1000W out.

Its the same as power stations it produces 230V and however many amps. then when it gets to the overhead power lines it drops the amps and ups the voltage. Then when it gets to the town its coverted back to 230V etc.

15. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No way man! Power in equals power out (plus losses). Transformers change some given voltage_in/current_in into other voltage_out/current_out. These figures can vary, but its product (power, in watts), is approximately the same.

16. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    OK I admit i could be wrong. Anyone got an A-level in physics or something who knows about this?

17. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Lol,

As said previously, its the clean current (amps) which helps drive the speakers.

For info Power = current x potential difference
    (i.e - Watts = Amperes x Volts)

18. PDM

PDM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe you'll see that there are quiet a few owners of 3805 driving 4Ohms speakers (like myself with no problems at all)...

The AVR has never been too hot to touch & never cut-out.

19. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I know this will sound stange but i have been checking this out and it seems the power consumed is not directly comparable to the 'music' power that you get to your speakers. As long as you actually get 120W at 8 ohms it should be OKand if you didn't i'm sure it would have been mentioned in some review or on these forums.

20. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    am using a 6.1 set up of 4ohm mk speakers without any problems also before that used a 3802 for over 2 years also without any problems

21. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm using a 3805 with a 4ohm 5 speaker setup - I haven't experienced any problems. Interestingly, the Denon also sounded better than the Arcam AVR300 in my system.

22. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I am interested in this topic too and would appreciate some advice. I have the 3802 with a 5.1 setup and occasionally consider 4 Ohm speakers eg the Kef reference 103/4s that apparently need 50W+ at 4 Ohms. Does anyone know if it can do this, eg with biwiring from the unused channels? Most importantly, can the Denon happily do a mixture of 4 Ohm fronts and 8 Ohm rears? Any advice gratefully accepted!

23. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You are talking about bi-amping. You can only bi-wire. So you go from one set of terminals on the amp to two sets on the speakers.
    Yes yo can run a mixture of impedances. The reason denon state 6 or higher is to prevent excesive current draw which could take out your trnasformer.

24. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    denon's answer to my query:

"We only recommend you driving 8ohm speakers, you can drive 6ohms speakers as well but not at a high amplitude. We do not recommend you using 4 ohms speakers as it could damage the amp speaker terminals, if you drive them fairly hard."

However, from what I have heard in this forum 4 ohms should be ok. I guess they just want to insure themselves against any possible warranty claims

25. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Its really in place for the surround A and B terminals. They use the same amplifier and if you use two sets of 4 ohms on them together you'll get 2 ohms which the amp really won't like. But 6-12 is all OK in denons eyes except when running A and B inwhich case on those terminals they suggest 12 ohms. If you are running A and B at different times you can use 6 ohms.

26. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As I mentioned earlier I am planning on driving a 5.1 consisting of 2 Minipods (4 ohm), 1 Cinepod center (8 ohm) and 2 Megapods (4 ohm). The minipods will be the surround speakers and there would only be two of them so I hope the Denon would cope more then adequately.