1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805-a Disappointment

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by turbospud, Jan 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. turbospud

turbospud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently replaced my sony strdb940 with the denon 3805 added the extra 2 speakers mission cinema 7s package,2 extra m77s and what dissapointment where the sony was vibrant and punchy the sound from denon is a strangled muted sound ,the volume has to be lifted to 2/3s to give any resonable performance,i set it up using the auto feature microphone with no problems any help as to where ive gone wrong or is the denon just overrated,it has some nice features like component switching but if it cant produce the sound compared to the sony its not worth keeping,any suggestions appriecated

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    How long have you had it and how much use has it had?

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to put the eq setting on "Front". I found the 3805 to be dull & lifeless until I did this. Carry out this small adjustment and stand back... :thumbsup:

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would try setting it up manually with an SPL meter to re-adjust the levels of each speaker...

John

5. simonn5

simonn5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also recently purchased this amp and initially had the same view as you but have now tweaked the settings and the sound is fine - maybe still a touch smooth and rich compared to my old Pioneer VSX1011 but far better than the sound achieved just using the auto set up.

As Family Guy says try using the different eq settings - I found Front to work best with music.

Also make sure you set the crossover BEFORE starting auto set up and play around with the cross over - I have now settled on 100hz instead of the default of 80.

I'm hoping the sound will open up even more once the unit has been run in for a while but even now this amp beats my old Pioneer in every department - just don't expect it to ever sound bright!

6. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My opinion is the same comparing SONY 5000ES to DENON 3905 the second sounds without punch and powerless.

7. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I, too, used to have the STR-DB940 and got the upgrade itch. Whilst I'm better off music wise with the HK set-up I now have, I am certain that the movies side is no better and maybe not as good, which is hard to admit having spent a considerable amount of money!

8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Agree with Family Guy and Recruit- first switch off ALL the hocuspocus, take your time setting the ting up and go from there.
    It should sound much better than the Sony.
    Barend

9. normsplace

normsplace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after reading all of the above, i am really stuck on deciding what to get, i am about to upgrade my sony strdb2000 and i'm looking for a good amp to match my denon 2900 and kef 5005's, my shortlist is the denon 3805 as i believe this would be a good match with my dvd or a pioneer vsx ax5ai-s.
    Any suggestions? :lease:

10. SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well first i want to say that i dont ever trust the little "auto set up microphone" ever

trust your ear not the mic

that is your problem turn off the auto **** and run it under preset settings or set your own.

i am running a 1905 and bypassing all the internal DSP except for the 7.1 decoding and running all into my pro audio equipment. - I pulled out my old Onk for this new unit and it sounds just as good.

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Very true. I use the auto setup as a guide only. I felt that my amp only truly came 'alive' once I'd manually tweaked the settings.

12. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    • All kit needs time to run in. My set up sounds a lot better now after about 100 hours of use than it did when I first set it up.
    • Do you have decent interconnect & speaker cables? Expecting a £1,000 amp to sound great with bundled leads is expecting too much!
    • Check for any silly mistakes. One day I found that my last bout of tweaking had resulted in me accidentally switching the sub off & I couldn't figure out why the sound quality had deteriorated so much until I spotted it :zonked:
    Having said all of that, I'm still not totally satisfied with the sound quality either but I've still got a few cables to upgrade and playing about to do. My setup is currently too bass heavy and lacks sparkle. It's a shame that the auto calibration doesn't work as well as it could, that was one of the reasons why I chose this amp!

13. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    When setting up my 2500 the mic set the rears to quiet i think. At -1.5 you couldn't hear them at all at +3.5 the surround effect is much better now, can actualy hear the rears and they are not over powering.

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    NO auto setup is perfect by a long shot. I go over mine with a SPL meter everytime I use auto setup and adjust the crossovers back from 110 to 80 etc.

I think what your missing is your Sony 'in-your-face' sound that the Denon doesnt do. This is all the more reason to DEMO, DEMO, DEMO.
    :lesson:
    Why isnt the Yamaha 2400/2500 on peoples short list? I would say its more like the Sony style wise but a million miles better Ok so no funky (fragile, unreliable) remote but all the rest of the bells and whistles with superb stereo ability and THX certification to boot:smashin:

15. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stick by my original answer...switch the equaliser to "front" and stand well back...you could end up on your arse, I guarantee the difference will be that big... :thumbsup:

16. turbospud

turbospud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the denon is a straight swap for the sony, same everything,ive tried altering some of the settings in manual mode it still lacks compared to the sony,it has gold plated connections the denon doesnt ,says something about the manufactures intentions,if i hadnt had the sony first i would of in ignorance thought the denon was quite good,but the reviews it has had are false, anyone have a list of manual settings that they think improves its output to try before i consign it to the cupboard

17. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I also agree:D I did it with my 1400 and it made quite a difference :smashin:

18. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Dont do that swap/trade it for a Yamaha 2500 :devil::D:clap:

19. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Turbospud - where do you live? I think you may have a faulty unit...the Denon 3805 I lived with for 4 months (I'm a custom installer by trade) blew the socks off everything else I heard in 2004 in it's price range...including my current Onkyo 702, which is THX certified.
    BTW, I'm offering to come round and check and maybe tweak your amp, FOC, if you live within 20 miles of me...(Epsom, Surrey...)

20. turbospud

turbospud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    family guy that answer cheered me up,better put the cushions on the floor behind me

21. turbospud

turbospud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unfortunatly in scotland

22. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a shame - though I wasn't joking about putting the equaliser on front...if you read the review in HCC (www.homecinemachoice.com) and search for it in the reviews section, you'll see the reviewer reccommended that as well...

All due respect to sony, but this should make your Sony sound like a transistor redio brought from e bay for a pound... :thumbsup:

If you're thinking of getting rid, I'll swap you one for one for my 1 month old Onkyo 702 in silver... ;) - specs here

23. turbospud

turbospud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ill have a play with that and see if i can get better results

24. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure you will...the auto setup on the Denon is the best I have used - bar none. The one on the Onkyo is a complete waste of time. I've told Onkyo this but they told me to :rtfm: !! I'm a custom installer!!! I don't need manuals!!!

For what it's worth, The Onkyo auto set up might as well not be there - it's that bad... :thumbsdow

25. saeav

saeav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having today had a demo between a Denon 3805 and Yamaha 1500 I have to say I preferred the sound of the Yamaha. The Yamaha, to my ears definitely seemed to have more sparkle and clearer dialogue (the word 'bright' is often bandied about but I think lots of people might view this as a negative term).

Dfour is absolutely right - Demo, demo demo and trust your own ears. I went into the demo with my mind pretty well set on the Denon (I have a denon dvd) but walked out with the Yamaha.

26. turbospud

turbospud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    set the eq curve to front and fell forward,the levels are less, sounds better in normal,must be something else or as other people are saying the denon doesnt do it,also the demo of an amp in the shops is totally different when you get it home,thats where you rely on reviews and forums like this

27. turbospud

turbospud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have tried all the different settings, lifting the db levels,making speakers large or small in different combinations,altered all the eq settings and it still sounds strangled and dull,reinstalled the sony and what a differance, movies come alive,the bass can be felt through the floor again, this one knocks you on your arse and only using 1/3 of available volume,the denon has to be at-25db[whats the number thing all about you would think it would be actual volume number, it only goes to +5db top wack and even then not testing the speakers] so could it be a faulty amp or is the strdb940 a cracker,its only been in use 2 months

28. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The volume settings are - ref level. So, listening at -25db, you are listening at 25 decibels below ref level (which is normally 75db...). The +5db is the maximum level and is 5 decibels above ref level...

My distant conclusion would be that you have a faulty amp. During the time that I had this amp (about 4 months), I watched Spiderman 2 at -10 and my daughter (who sleeps directly above the front speaker soundstage) swore blind she felt her bed raise of the floor, such was the sound pressure...

Mind you, I was running it with Miller & Kreisel speakers and a REL sub...what speakers are you using?

29. turbospud

turbospud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mission m77 series cinema 7 package,paradigam sub,if i think its a faulty amp,do you think av sales will send another one or do you need someone to cheak it first

30. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no idea mate, I've never dealt with them. No harm in giving them a ring though...