Denon 3805/3910 0r DV89?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by eric2, Oct 18, 2004.

1. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I have a Denon 3805 and I'm looking to buy a CD player and DVD player. I was thinking about spending £250/300 on the CD player but recently saw the Arcam DV89 on the web for a good price. This got me thinking that a one box solution would be better for me if the quality of CD play back matched that of a £250/300 dedicated CD player. Has anyone listened to this machine. Or would the 3910 sound better through the iLink?

Any advice appreciated, Cheers.

2. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The DV89 would be closer to a £400 cd player (from memory its as good as the Arcam DV73/72), it will be a better CD player than the Denon; not sure how DVD-A compares between them; and obviously Arcam doesn't hold with SACD so if you want that the Denon is your only choice.

I'd do a search in the Arcam forum on here for bad edits, the DV89 seemed to suffer with them, this put me off the DV89 and I got the 3910 instead.

3. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can I ask what sort of "good price" you've seen on the DV89, Eric, and from whom...?

Will.

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    creative audio maybe ? £599

Never seen a bad edit myself.. been using the Dv88+ (dv89 without DVDA) since it was released.. very happy with the machine at its picture and sound quality..

Matt

5. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply BrianC. Good news then about the CD quality. I did a search here for the DV89 but forgot there was a Arcam forum, I'll have a look. SACD would be nice extra (although few CD's seem to be SCAD). I haven't seen to many rave reviews on here about the Denon. How have you or anyone else found the CD play back of the 3910? I listened to the NAD542 CD player, anything better than this would be great.

I have the details at home Grannysmith, I'll find out for you later when I get home.

6. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I had a Denon 3910 for a week, but returned it to the dealer partly because of the issue it has with dvd-r's (as mentioned in another thread), but also because I found cd's to sound pretty sterile...just too bland and uninvolving compared to my £400 Kenwood 7090 player, and this was after leaving the Denon switched on for five days to 'burn in'. Pity, as it's a humdinger as a dvd player - maybe I was expecting a little too much of it...

7. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The good price was from Creative Audio as Matt mentioned. Looks like they have been selling it for £599 for a while, after searching through the Arcam forums.

8. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,166
    Bad edits killed the Arcams for me:( But viewing the DV79 (I think?) via HDMI was stunning. With all the issues out there on denon kit (why do any of us bother?) I think I'll be looking for something like the 79 if it outputs PAL properly to my Panny 6 series plasma...

9. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I agree with GrannySmith about the CD play back, its sterile when using the Denons DACs - but sounds perfectly acceptable when using it as a transport with my Yammys DACs. I am on the look out for a dedicated CD player as I think this will be the only way for me to get the level of CD play back that I want.

Its a little werid tho', cause the Denon is good with MP3s (not tried WMA), DVD-A and really good with SACD. I'm not saying it would be the equal of a dedicated SACD player at about £400, but it would come close for me.

Smurfin - what issues are you refering to with the Denon?