1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 - £1K kit with 50p parts !!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mavice, Aug 4, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavice

mavice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Here's my problem

I have a Denon 3805 amp. Thats a £1K amp (well £800 now) and the remote is the all singing and dancing RC970 - learning, illumated etc etc. :D

Well, in the recent hot weather the remotes plastic front cover decided to crack a 4 points. Seems to be where the internal screws mount to the cover causing stress. With the cover compromised, the keypad display doesnt work properly as no pressure is applied to the display connections. crap design as the front cover is pretty flimsey. :mad:

So, a 50p bit of plastic is now rendering my remote useless and subsequently my £1k amp pretty inconvenient to use. (I am out of warranty)

so.....I called Denon customer service of course, to ask where I can buy this plastic front cover...their response was that I cant . I have to buy a replacement remote - and the cost ???... a bargain at £149. - they can forget that.! :nono:

so ... cheers denon, thanks for making a product that doesnt like the sweltering british summer temperatures and thanks for support that means you have to replace a £149 remote for a bit of cracked plastic that prob costs 50p to make.

If you change you mind and want to give me the manufacturers details of the remote so that I can get a cover, then drop me a line.

Otherwise, anyone know a company making plastic widgets that will create a new front cover from a mold of my old one ? - I am willing to pay up to £150 for it - just on principal ! :D :lease:

2. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I've read on here that the 'cracking' 3805 remote is common, and that Denon have acknowledged this and issued replacements free of charge for some people.

It might be worth ringing Denon again. I know the remote with the 3805 has been the subject of many a complaint.

Anyway, for £149 you could get a much much better remote like the Harmony 885 (£135) or even and older Philips Pronto.

I'd contact Denon again anyway and speak to someone who knows about the 3805 remote problems.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    beat me to it!

5. Mouth on Legs

Mouth on Legs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921

Don't get me wrong here, it's just my opinion :smashin:

But this just reinforces my opinion that people are being ripped off, big style, in the AV game.
    A grand for an amp, to me is obscene (although I'm finding myself getting suckered into the same way of thinking :eek: ).

I have heard some things on the AV forums that make me really laugh.
    A question I ask myself is, "will a £100 component cable be ten times better than a £10 component cable"????
    IMO, no way, the difference is probably an extra 5%, the price increases are exponential but the improvement is not.

I suppose it's a supply and demand thing, but hope I don't fall for it (although I probably will :( )

7. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    We probably do pay too much for AV and hifi gear, but you have to consider in the world of AV a part will get replaced atleast every year or so. The manufactor has to put a lot of R&D into each improvement. So in that year they have to cover their costs.

Also under UK law they have to hold spares for years. If you are not going to sell many (limited life span) then the cost per spare is going to be expensive. Plus you have to have room to hold hundreds or thousands of spare parts of each new model.

I purchased my 3802 around 5 years ago, and have no plans to replace it at this time. So i think £800 is worth it.

Good old supply and demand.

8. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I have learned several valuable lessons in life when making complaints -

1 - always write - send your letter registered post not recorded.

2 - go to the top - write to a director

3 - praise their product and say how "disappointed" youa re that it's tarnished their "solid dependable " reputation and explain it;s a buyers market...name drop a few such as Sony etc...

4 - be nice

Trust me....it works

9. mavice

mavice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Paul - of course you are right, writing may get their attanetion better than a telecon

but the point is, we should not have to go to this much trouble to get an acceptable service as customers.

I will follow your advise and write to them though

Someone mentioned the cracking problem has happened to others - any links anyone ???

10. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Mine has also started to crack so i will be contacting them soon as i have made a note of the serial no.

11. mavice

mavice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    dvdchild

let me know how you get on

does your remote have a serial no. ?
    there is none on mine

only on the main amp

cheers

12. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    No, as you say the price -v- improvement is a log scale (ie you have to pay more and more to get the same level of improvement the more expensive the kit) but I dont see this as exclusive to the AV equipment world - to be honest I cant think of anything which doesnt follow this pattern.

13. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    sorry i actually mean serial number of amp not remote. It is pretty poor that an expensive piece of kit has such a shoddy remote. I'm already on my 2nd one and i've only just had it nearly a year.

14. mavice

mavice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    still no joy

I'm back to my One 4 all Kameleon again, but of course doesnt operate th 3805 (except main vol !!)

THe denon remotes in bits now til I decide next plan of action.

Unless I get any joy from them, it's the last Denon kit I will ever buy. :mad:

15. mavice

mavice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    OK..update time

I finally managed to get the receipt for the amp from the person I purchased it from.

Seemed I had 10 days left on 12 month warranty

Hi-Spek who sold the unit in the first place were very helpful and Denon had no issue at all replacing the remote.

I now have a new remote which will be kept in a glass case !!

so...it seems if you are in warranty, Denon will happlily replace via the retailer who sold it (providing they are a registered Denon dealer)

16. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    you may not even need to have the receipt if your dealer remembers you......i almost had to take my 3803 in as i thought i had a optical output problem, luckily i didnt, but the guy in sevenoaks said dont worry about the receipt, they dont actually need it (i go in there a good few times a year so they remember quite well).....also he said the warranty on it was 2 years not 1........i dunno if thats just something sevenoaks offer or a standard on Denon UK amps? (the more expensive ones maybe, i certainly didnt pay for it as an extra i know that much)

shame it sounds like the remote is a bit hit and miss as to its lifespan, sounds like it wouldnt be much good for me, my room gets very hot due to all the equipment plus the sun setting on it.....ok and im not great for keeping my remotes safe...hehe, they tend to slide off the armchair a lot...lol

17. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,307
    no point in resurrecting a dead thread..a thread that has been dead for about 2 years now.
    Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.