1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MATT JENNER, Jun 1, 2003.

Tags:
  1. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello

i have a few question regarding this amp,

1 What setting would you recommend for the subwoofer i currently have it set on max + 20 on amp, and the volume on sub very low, what cross over frequency would you recommend ?(speaker set p 7.1 accoustic energy aesprit)

2 this amp seems to run at a higher temp than my previose strdb1080 amp did is this normal?

3 For some reason i can only get the OSD to work everynow and again, do i have to be in a specific mode to acces this ? i have tried accessingthis in Vid 2 mode which runs through a scaler to my crt.

4. The delay sync seems to be out more on different programmes when watching via video in (vcr1) (connection is video out composite to to the lumigen scaler and the audio out from vid goes directly to amp)

5 on dvd the volume goes up higher +8 where as on other sources it goes only as high 0 is this right ?

thanx In advance for any help and advice

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    1. I would suggest setting the sub to 0 on receiver and then setting sub to about 1/3 volume. Play a few movies and adjust the volume until you can only just hear the sub. Less volume is more with a sub! Do asearch on here, there are plenty of threads on this.

2. The more power an amp has the hotter it will run at. My 3802 is fairly hot, so I would think this is normal. If you could fry an egg on it then it might be a problem, but just make sure there is nothing on top of it and it has plenty of ventilation all around.

3. AFAIK it should display the OSD in all modes. My 3802 does not output OSD via component and is the only video feed to my plasma so I just get a portable TV and plug in via composite. Might be worth trying this if OSD is needed.

4. Different sorces do have different delays, as do different TV channels. BBC/ITV seem fairly good most of the time, but Sky News is always a long way out! At least you can set your delay via the 3803 remote. I've only got another box in the audio path and it has no remote :rolleyes: (yes I know I'm lazy :devil: ).

5. 0 or +8 :eek: . I only ever get TV to around -20 and DVD's if I want it loud to around -10. I think you need to set your 3803 up with an SPL metre. Believe me it is well worth the investment if you are unable to borrow one!

I think that just about covers all your questions. I'm sure others will also have advise.

Mark.

3. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some responses:

3. OSD does not work on component. I use the upconvert and the OSD works from s-vid source (Sky digibox) but not from DVD player and x-box (both component).

4. Yes different programs have different delays. Good thing about the 3803 is that the delay can be different per source. Unfortunately not per program. I find that a delay of 60-80ms for the Sky digibox is fine for playback through to a plasma.

5. Never tried getting that high. My 3803 been setup by installers using an SPL meter though but that should not affect anything.

Hope this helps.

nhk

4. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I cant help you but could you help me? Does this amp sound any better than your previous sony 1080 as I have the sony amp and was curious about its sound output/quality. Hope you dont mind,

Cheers,

Dave

5. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    To Be honest
    i found the denon more of a heavier sounding amp, the only reson i bought it was i purchased a scaler for my crt, and i needed an amp with the lip sync function,
    i felt the sony picked up more fainter sounds, for example, i was watching Lord of the dance (michael flattly ) and on the sony amp you could hear the feet moving on stage, whereas on the denon you can only just hear it,
    but saying that the denon is a more capable amp, and can handle alot,
    the chances are i have not got mine balanced or set up to the best,
    the films sound clearer on the denon, and you have ore flexibility in setting up sound fields and speaker distances.

thanx to you other guys for helping me out,
    i do seem to be experiencing one problem i cannot find the lip sync delay setting, i have got up the OSD (the reason i wanst getting it was it was going in composite to the scaler but from scaler to projector it was compnent)

hwere in the set up menu is the sync delay ?

thanx a tonne for the help so far though

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Need to look for the Audio Delay option.:)

7. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Hi
    thanx for reply, theo nly thing i can find is speaker delay where you can set the speakers to small or large etc, am i looking in the wrong section

Matt

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    It's probably on the second page of that menu, there should be an arrow at the bottom of the screen to indicate this. Keep scrolling down and it should switch to page two.

Just bear in mind that the Audio Delay will be adjusted for whatever Source the amp is on when you press the Setup button.

9. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    How did you get the sub level to goto +20....??
    My channel levels only go up to +12....??

Are you sure that you have the amp turned right up.......??
    My volume goes up to +10 on DVD and +15 on everything else......

Did you buy it from an authorised dealer...??....or is it one of these grey import things....although i would not of thought, that would make much of a diff.

I have never felt mine, so cannot comment on how hot it gets and i am not sure if i have a prob with mine, but i seem to listern louder than most people..(maybe its just me).

On DVD most others report listerning at around -20 to -15....i have mine a lot higher....-8 to 00.
    When watching sky digi, most people listern around -40 to -25....i listern between -20 to -15....anything lower seems to quite to me.

Maybe the software differs from one batch to another.

10. lonny

lonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Guys,

Can I clarify something here? I am currently looking to buy a 3803 to sit in a cupboard hidden away with all my other kit and only have component cable running up to the screen. I was planning to run my Tivo into an RGb->Component converter and hence pass component from the converter and straight component from a DVD into the Denon's 2 component inputs.

As the box will be hidden away in a cupboard I won't be able to see the display and was planning to use the OSD to change amp settings as necessary.

What I'm concerned about is whether the OSD will appear with these component sources. The Denon manual (on www.usa.denon.com) - page 17 IIRC - talks about ' a preference' for where the OSD info goes to - if S-video output is used along with component then the OSD input just goes to the s-video output. It says to fix this just don't use s-video output.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick here? Is anyone running 2 component inputs and 1 component output ONLY and getting their OSD to work correctly??

Hope that makes sense!

Lonny.

11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Lonny

Have a look at Page 33 of the manual. There's a note there about it. Basically it will only output the OSD via Component when you have set the VIDEO INPUT MODE from the VIDEO SETUP option of the main setup menu (manual Page 16). This is where you also assign the Component Inputs to the source you want.

Hope this helps.:)

12. lonny

lonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Jase,

I think I get what you're saying - as long as it is set up correctly the OSD will appear on the component output yeah?? Presumably the people who aren't seeing this have some different setup options specified.

It is an incredibly complicated manual to try to understand.

13. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Yes, you need to have it setup correctly to see the OSD (not helped by the manual which is a bit naff unfortunately!).

14. vdeknock

vdeknock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have tried all different configurations and can't get OSD via component when you have a component input. Page 18 of the manual (hard Oz copy). After the section "After completing system setup" states as a note:

"When component video signal is input and when the "Video Input Mode" is set to the component fixed mode at system setup, the OSD is only displayed when the system setup, surround parameters and OSD button are operated" changing the volume will not display the level etc.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think it will work for a component input to compontent output. If you input s-video to component output it will work.

15. lonny

lonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This is getting really confusing!

Has anyone got component-in to component-out working with OSD??

Cheers.

Lonny

16. Aydon

Aydon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got a 3803. I use a Sony DVP S725 DVD player with component out to the Ampo, and then a component cable to the pj (Sanyo Z1) - I have a few other sources, but only one component cable running 3803 to pj.

The OSD work through this connection.

17. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sky box S-Vid I, Pio DVD 757 component IN and all this upconverted to component OUT.

With Sky box, the volume is displayed via OSD

With the Pio DVD, no OSD display of volume.

I can get OSD for system setup though.

18. vdeknock

vdeknock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nhk

I get exactly the same as you.

19. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I plan on getting a 3803 or 3805 and using HTPC for DVD and Foxtel Digital TV (Au) with the sweetspot / Xcard / Dscaler. My question is, can i still adjust the audio sync delay if i plan to bypass video connections on the receiver copmletely ie. hook video directly to my plama?

20. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yes, that will be no problem as the audio sync feature is an adjustment that is only done to the audio input and nothing to do with the video.

Mark.