Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

denon 3803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by newbie265, May 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm thinking of this receiver instead of the pioneer ax5i,to accompany a denon dvd2200,with either the mission 5 pack or the aegis evopro3b.Which set up would compliment each other the best.Music wise i want to get a seperate amp so has the 3803 got pre-outs?

2. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It has got pre outs.

I like the 3803, i think it sounds nice and looks nice......looks better than the 3805 IMO.
    I find it excellent for surround sound, but not brilliant for stereo music, so i'm also thinking of getting a seperate amp for music.
    Just trying to decide weather to go for the arcam A90 intergrated, which has the A/V control or maybe a P90/3 just to power the speakers a bit better.

Cannot really comment on your speaker choice..........but i think if it was my money then i would go for the evo package.
    I have not heard the missions, but i have had a listern to the evo3's and they sounded ok, but just had a slight cheap sound IMO, thats about the best way i can describe it, but then i am compareing them to my M&K's so they never really had a chance, so i'm now looking at higher end/priced speakers.

i think with the amount of choice there are with speakers nowdays, it is deff down to personal choices and you must get a demo first.
    there is a hugh difference between the sound of different speakers, compared to the differences you will find between the other componets in a setup.

3. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well I had budgeted around 1200 for speakers so maybe you could give me an alternative?I was figuring biger speakers as surrounds as in the evo package as i want sacd too.

4. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The 3803 is a very flexible amp and is a joy to use. I love it. Unfortunately the DACS are not up to much so you want to be running a good source into it via analogue. I would guess it's in line with any sub £1000 receiver. None of them are much cop.

As for speakers, try the Ruarks. They are very under-rated speakers, especially the little epilogues.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    I've been running the older 3802 with a set of B&W 600 series speakers (see sig below) and have found these to work very well together. The speakers cost £1500 for the set of 6, but if you only wanted 5.1 then they would be just over budget at £1300. You wont find them advertised anywhere at a discount, but may be able to haggle with a dealer to get some reduction.
    For music I also had Arcam amps (just sold them as part of my upgrade) bi-amping the front L&R speakers. This gave the 3802 a bit more power for the surrounds and made a huge difference for music.
    B&W 603s3's are often offered in the hardware sales forum for a good price, so you may want to take a look in there. I am in the process of upgrading my receiver and speakers and so all of mine will likely be put up for sale in there once the new kit has arrived.

Mark.

6. logiclee

logiclee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    I'm running a 3803 with Mission 734i floorstanders, 70C2 centre, 7DS, 701 and M7C1 Surrounds with Paradigm PS1000 Sub. I'm very pleased with it, a major step up from my Sony 930 and works well with the missions

Your main problem may be finding one, I think all the black units have gone and silver is in short supply.

Cheers
    Lee