1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3803 vs. Arcam AVR300 to drive CDM9NT/CDM1NT

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by fvdbergh, Apr 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. fvdbergh

fvdbergh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently driving a 5.1 CDM package (9NT front/1NT back) with Denon 3803, 50%music, 50% HT. Haven't been able to listen to new Arcam AVR300 yet. Would this provide signicant upgrade in ability to drive speakers / overall sound quality in music and HT? Or would other upgrade path be more advisable?

2. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i would think it would drive the speakers better, but weather it would be better for HT we are yet to find out.

i am thinking of changing from the 3803 to the 300, but am wondering if the prossesing will be any better..............my local dealer has got one in, but i have not had the chance to get a demo yet.
    If what arcam is saying is true and it is based around the AV8 then hopefully the prossesing should be as good if not better than the 3803.
    I've heard a few recivers in the past and the 3803 has been the best with surround sound.

3. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the arcam may not sound any better in HT but its much cooler with more feautures :)

4. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fvdbergh,

The CDM9 NT's love lots of power so you really need a separate power amp to hear them at their best (or a big beast of a flagship integrated amp).

Regards,

Jules.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Why not just add a integrated amp to the equation (and possibly a power amp to bi-amp). An Arcam a85+ or a90 (with av in) would give you substantial improvements to stereo performance imo. It worked wonders with my avr3802 and Linn Ninka's which are probably just as hard to drive as the CDM9 NT's. Why compromise with one box when a two box solution will give you the best of both worlds?

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    But he still has to deal with the shortcomings of the Denon 3803 in stereo if he uses a power amp. An integrated stereo amp will give the best of both worlds, followed closely by the AVR300. Relying on the pre-amp section of the Denon is a sideways step IMO.

7. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    fvd
    i have 3802 did have cdm1nts have tried powers and think the addition of a power does improve ht , but found that theres not much of an improvement re 2 channel sterio, mainly because your still using 3803 preamp stage.

having heard 2803 recently in sterio vs arcam a75+running dyn 62 the a75 was better.

if you wanted a resonably cost power you could try rotel 985 5 channel power and bi amp fronts and run center . about £300 2nd hand.

i feel the best solution for ht and sterio is as suggested the addition of integrated amp preferable with av switch/processer mode.

i sold my nts to someone on hi fi choice forum who has marantz 5400 and now uses a75+ and power to bi amp nts with good results.

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Like I said in my initial post "why not Just add an Integrated amp"

the power amp I mentioned was if he wanted to bi-amp his fronts with the integrated stereo amp over the avr3802 not on it's own as you said this would not over ride the denons average stereo performance.:D

9. michalis52

michalis52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I own a pair of CDM 9 NT and I am driving them with an AVR 3803 pre-out section followed by a CARTER 3ch 250WX3 power amp. It sounds all right I am now upgrading to the AVR4603 and thinking of biamping the CDMM9NT and droping the power amp which has a noizy transformer. I asked B&W whether this is a good idea since I once burned out the speakers midrange drivers with the CARTER amp.

Michalis

10. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I upgraded from the 3803 to an Arcam AVR300 a bit over a year ago.

For stereo, no contest, the Arcam blows the Denon away. For HT the Arcam was also an improvment but not by so much - more detail and more open sound.

11. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Blimey.....who dug this old post up.....??????

I have since upgraded to an Rotel 1068 and parasound 1205a........
    Mega improvement to the 3803.
    I find the Rotel 1068 better than the Arcam AVP700, which is supossed to be the next step up from the AVR300, so i would say the 1068 is better than the new AVR350, although i have not heard it yet, so it's only a guess.

I could do with a P1000 or a P7 though, as the parasound has not got the high's that the Arcam has.

12. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The 3803 is 2 generations old now, it is no surprise the kit mentioned betters it, especially when we go into the realms of pre and power setups! And every thing mentioned cost a fair bit more than the 3803 rrp too! Let the thread rest in peace!

13. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    aye, the 3803s a cracking receiver for its price (the Arcam 300 was £300 more anyhow when both were brand new!) and does its job very well.....if you spend more money or similar money on more expensive but second hand equipment, of course you will get better results......but then as i say, partner the 3803 with the right equipment and to my mind its still hard to beat.....(i literally prefer it quite happily tot he 3805 and 3806 replacements!)