1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3803 video conversion

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by McBain, Aug 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. McBain

McBain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All,

Considering this Amp for a plasma setup, but I'm confused about the 3803's advertised ability to convert s-video/composite connections to component.

If I have a device that I normally connect via RGB scart - a PS2 for example, would I lose picture quality if I did:

PS2 S video -> 3803 -> Component out

rather than say:

PS2 RGB -> JS RGBtoYUV -> Amp/Direct to plasma

Basically what I mean is, normally RGB scart is preferable to Svideo right? If I start with the lower quality connection (svideo) on the PS2, then have the amp convert it to component, would the output actually be worse than directly using the RGB output of the PS2 directly to the plasma?

Cheers.

2. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi,

I got the 3803 for partially this reason (and the lip synch issue). Basically I plug in PS2, Gamecube and XBOX into a variety of composite and SVIDEO and output via component to plasma. Everything works great and quality is very good (especially the XBOX).

I have never seen the other method you describe, but I can't really fault the 3803 video conversion. Although I suspect NO conversion will provide better quality than some conversion...?

It's also very very helpful given the number of connections the plasma's come with nowadays.

Robin.

3. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just to add that the PS2 can output component directly so you could just switch this through your Denon and you wouldn't have any conversion going on at all (at least not for the PS2 signal).

You have to change one of the options in the PS2 setup to enable component output (and you obviously need a special cable) but this should be better than converting an s-video signal.

4. McBain

McBain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quick bump - I'm still confused as to the ability of the 3803 to up-convert to component - it seems fairly pointless in these days of RGB/component outputs if you cant input RGB in the first place. If you take a quality step down and connect a RGB capable device via s-video to the amp (which will output it via component), SURELY the picture is worse than connecting said device directly using RGB?

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Sam,

I would say your assumption was correct. RGB should always beat S-video in quality.

Steve

6. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Lets go back to basics.

Ideally for ultimate picture quality, you'd want to be able to connect all your sources directly to your display device. In this case, directly to your Plasma.

Of course doing this means:

multiple connections (more cables) to your Plasma. You may even run out of connections.
    having to switch your audio manually every time you select a source

AV amps/receivers can be great for simplifying the process, especially your Denon.

Now, taking your PS2 an example, lets look at how you could connect this.

The PS2 can ouput a variety of signals, from composite video, to S-Video, to RGB and finally Component. The top quality ones are RGB & Component. You can connect your PS2 with a Component cable directly to your 3802. Then you run a single set of component cables to your Plasma and bingo! One happy PS2 owner. Most people would reckon that Component is slightly better than RGB. The point to note is that you're supplying a Component signal to your 3802. It will just pass this straight on to your Plasma.

The purpose of the 3802 upconversion is more for when you are forced to use lower quality signals (such as composite or S-video). You connect stuff like say a regular VCR with composite video and perhaps a DVD player with s-video. The 3802 upconverts these to component video and then passes it through your single set of component connections to the Plasma.

Generally speaking, you want to use the highest quality output from a given device to be passed to your display. If you have something that is RGB or Component capable, then I wouldn't necessarily suggest you use a lower quality signal. On the other hand, for convenience, you may wish to.

Does that help at all??

7. McBain

McBain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies.

AOD: Yes it does help - it confirms what I originally thought. Its just annoying that an Amp with such hyped video switching still doesn't do what I want. Now I'm going to have rethink my entire connection situation as all my devices bar the video (which I may not even connect if I get SKY+!) output in RGB or component.

8. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AOD: A a couple of quick questions regarding upconversion.

1. I have a AVC 11SR Denon amp do you know if this does up conversion?

2. If so, is there a switch / setting I need to define for it to work?

I have an x-box connected via s-video to my amp which is connected to a projector via compnent & s-video. My tv is connected via s-video only.

I can use x-box on projector using s-vid but it does not work when I try the component connection; hence my questions.

Hope you can help,

Regards,

dom.

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Dom

The A11SR does NOT have the video up conversion function. Only the A1SR (original not upgraded ones) and the 3803 have this feature.

To everyone else, I find this feature excellent but remember no matter how good the amp/feature it cannot add quality to the signal. In my view this feature is primarily aimed at easing the cable spaghetti although I do find it works just superbly.

Having sold a Sony VA555 in favour of the 3803 I cannot honestly say it was worth it, Certainly not for the up-conversion feature anyway.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    While RGB can be better it not always is, depending on your equipment. In other words S-Video can deliver an equal or better performance.
    So the best thing is to try it out with your own gear. :)

11. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Messiah. ;)

12. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    McBain, I am not certain what you mean by that it still doesn't do what you want. Though by your last sentence I may have an idea which is aligned with the problem that I have got. Is it that you have more component output sources than there are inputs on the amp or plasma.....And I have the same thing, only the VCR is not component or RGB capable (my display device can accept both on the component inputs). I haven't had my VCR hooked up for the last two years as Sky+ delivers all we need. With DVD writers so cheap for a PC I converted our wedding video from the original DV tapes...anyway...

The NAD T762 has got three component inputs and one output which may do the trick for you. Or if you have more like me, you can wait for the Yamaha Z9, supposingly to have 9 inputs, or use one of Audio Authority's switch boxes that not only switches the component signals but also the digital sound stream alongside with it. Just connect it up to a single component input on your display device and the digital out to your AMP and voila, potentially one happy person....

Cheers,

JP

13. McBain

McBain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    dejongj:

Thats not exactly what I meant - Apart from DVD (and maybe PS2 or GC) I dont have any other component sources. What I really meant is that the rest of my kit has/will have RGB output, which as far as I know has always been considered next best to component in terms of signal quality. Although I've now ordered one, the 3803 (which from what I've read is always hyped for its video connectivity/conversion) does NOT accept RGB sources for conversion to component. Thus, if I want to maintain the highest possible signal quality from my sources, I cant really use it for video switching.

Reiner:

Thanks for the info. As far as I can work out, RGB is considered better than SVideo in most cases, but whether the difference is that notable I couldn't say. I currently have a fairly basic all-in-one Sony system (DAV-S800) and this ONLY connects to the TV via Svideo and the picture, as far as I can see, is pretty spot on. I used to run a dedicated player through RGB and the picture is as good, if not slightly better on the Cony (although this may have to do with the old DVD player being cheap and nasty).

I'm thinking of going for the new Sony NS930 for future prog scan (PAL and NTSC) whn I upgrade my display, and I can only assume that component is the way to go with that source.

Out of interest, has anyone noticied signal degregation using the 3803 to merely switch component (no conversion)? I could slightly reduce my cable spaghetti if I used the amp to switch to the DVD source....

14. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But McBain can't you just switch RGB (with sync on green) through the component inputs. If they accept HD signals they definitely accept (well actually passthrough not accept) the RGB signal.

The question is, does your display device accept RGB with sync on green and it would even be simpler if your plasma would accept RGB on the component inputs (in that case sync would be on green)......If so, the connections could be very easy for you....but then you may have the problem as I stated before of having to few component (or RGB if you like) inputs.....

15. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Having read all the gumf - or not as the case maybe. I had sources through s-video and composite and the up conversion has both improved the quality (under statement) and cabling situation and, errrr thridly, sorted the lipsynch problem. Not sure about RGB but the denon does what it says on the tin.... buy one - you also get 7.1 as well!!