1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3803 versus new Denon 2805?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by spedster, Feb 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. spedster

spedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am choosing between a Denon 3803 (if I can find one) and a new Denon 2805. Does anyone have suggestions?

Cheers

2. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have the 2805 and think it is extrmely good, not sure what the differences are other than Denon link, There may be more.
    The 2805 has 7 amps and really does throw the sound around very nicely.
    Music sounds good and there are plenty of options to tweak. (still playing after 2 months of owning)
    Best bet would be to organise an audition.

3. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a few suggestions... The 2805 has a 32bit floating DSP processor, versus the older 24 bit in the 3803. You gain Pro Logic IIx in the 2805, which adds cinema and music to ordinary Pro Logic II. You lose 10 watts and 3 kg in weight in the 2805. The 3803 has a 192 khz DAC versus the 96khz in the 2805. I doubt you will notice the difference in sound quality pertaining to any of these specs. It really boils down to price and warranty. Denon has excellent service, even if your product is out of warranty. They charge by the hour, and refund your shipping and evaluation costs if work is done, as long as you buy from an authorized Denon retailer. Two of my friends have the older 2802 models, and will upgrade to the 3805 or 4806 in the near future. I recently purchased the 3805 and love it. The 7 channel stereo is outstanding with standard feed tv. There is a Pure Direct mode that is also amazing with classical and jazz music. It eliminates all possible interference from other sources and even cuts out the video display on the receiver. Both the units you listed have the 7 channel stereo, but I'm not sure about the Pure Direct mode. Either choice is a good one!

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +896
    The 3803 also has a 32 Bit Processor (Analogue Devices Melody 100) and the same DAC's and configuration as the later 3805. The 2805 also has 192Khz DAC's albeit made by Analogue Devices rather than the Burr Brown's found in the 3803/3805. Both units have Pure Direct Modes.

Of the two I'd go for the 2805 because of it's Auto Setup/Room EQ and Dolby PLIIx. :)

5. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Y'all,

I too have recently replaced a 2802 with a 2805 and all I can say is WOW, what a difference :thumbsup:
    AFAIK the 3805 has slightly better digital decoder chips than the 2805, and also the DENON LINK for easier (better) connection to a suitably equipped denon dvd player.
    For my purposes I did'nt think I could justify the extra outlay for the 3805 over the 2805 (moreso to the missus than anything else) :rolleyes: and with the kit I already own, I find the 2805 totally competent in all aspects of performance.
    If anyone is intending to go down the all denon road of dvd player and amp, then I say YES, go for the 3805. If however like me you are using a non denon player or one without DENON LINK, then IMHO you may well find the 2805 is perfectly suited instead.

All the best,

Graham.