Denon 3803 problem & potential replacement

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lonny, Mar 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. lonny

lonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Guys,

My almost 3 year old 3803 has stopped working. Looking around the forum it seems as if it may have suffered a transformer failure - the standby light flashes when switched on but nothing else happens. I've checked for stray wires causing a short but can't find any. Also, the fuses inside the case appear intact. One post I saw here suggested that this may be a £180 repair + no doubt labour and VAT etc. pushing me up near £300. I will get a repair shop to look at it but I'm not optimistic - can anyone recommend a repairer in the Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire area??

So, my main question is - should I just write off the 3803 and replace with something else?? I don't need any HDMI functionality or anything like that - I'll probably upgrade my whole system to HD in a few years time and so would buy a new amp then. I just need 6.1 sound and component switching.

I'm not keen on buying another Denon after this one giving up the ghost so soon after purchase and a cursory look around this morning I saw amps like the Yamaha RXV-657 for about £300. Has anyone else switched away from a 3803 to anything around the £300 price range - is there any other particular model to consider?

All advice appreciated.

Lonny.

2. Ultima

Ultima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    A mate of mine has got the Yamaha RXV-657 with the same speakers as me but a different DVD/CD player.

He always says the my Denon 3803 blows it away for both movies and music. He rue's the day he went out and bought the Yamaha having compared against the Denon. To be totally honest, I have to agree with him.

Regards
    Martin

3. mobile1

mobile1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would say the opposite, generally I have found Yamaha amps to be better in terms of sound quality (music and movies) when comparing like prices products. Best bet it to listen to one against the other. I find Yamaha's sound much more real and involve you in the sound whereas the Denon's can not do this. Also Denon's aftersales service sucks - and is getting worse!:thumbsdow

4. Ultima

Ultima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Unfortunately, comparing the Denon 3803 (approx £1000 when new) to the Yamaha 657 (£300ish new) is not comparing like for like. If I had £300 to spend now, I would definately buy good quality second hand rather than new. IMHO a new £300 amp will not be able to compete against older machines that were in the £1000 bracket when they were first released.

Regards
    Martin

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    would like to say, just because one product you've bought from a manufacturer has developed a problem doesnt mean you should never ever buy from that manufacturer again....thats just silly saying that....all companies have products that go faulty from time to time......
    fair enough if you ended up having a massive problem with Denon and things got heated blah blah then i could understand you being annoyed....

but this is just luck of the draw, it happens.....

if the rest of the amp is unaffected then i'd go with the repair on mine if it happened, providing the repair ended up under say £200 which it should do, these amps dont cost more than a few hundred to build so i doubt it'll cost more than the build cost to repair...if it does then it means they cant be bothered and are just overcharging to get a few extra quid easy (mechanics do this, charge you a fortune for mending a puncture in a tyre in out of the way places....its a tedious job to do, but if you happy to pay over the odds then then they'll do it..heh)......especially if i was considering a wholesale upgrade to HD kit in the nearish future......