1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3803 + PC + KD-VTCA2 Transcoder + Sony projector + component video

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by w8andc, Aug 24, 2003.

1. w8andc

w8andc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I hope someone give me a direction what is going wrong with my setup.

I use the following equipment and software to project an image on a screen:

* PC with Athlon XP 2600+ processor
    * Hercules Prophet 9000 Pro 128 MB videocard (ATI-based chipset)
    * DENON 3803 receiver
    * Hauppauge BT-878 capture card
    * DSCALER software
    * SONY VPL-PX1 projector (XGA)
    * Key Digital KD-VTCA2 transcoder ( converts RGB from videocard to component + loop through)

The DENON can upconvert any video signal to component video (Y PB PR). My SONY projector can be setup for RGB input or component input through the 15 pins (DB15) VGA connector.

When I use my VCR (composite output) or my DVD player (S-video output) and I have set up the projector to use component video comming from the component video output of my receiver, the image is shown well with the correct colors.
    The projector shows on screen that a signal of 15k is comming through.

When I use my PC and the transcoder (hooked up to a component video input of my receiver), the projector doesn't show me an image in component mode. The projector tells on screen to check the input A settings. When I set my projector to RGB there is an image, but with wrong colors (to much green). The projector recognizes the image as an HDTV signal.

I have tried many settings on the transcoder:

480p, 720p, 1080i,540p
    I also put the transcoder on Auto Format Mode because the manual says that this mode works in NTSC and PAL interlaced and progressive formats.

What is going wrong?

What is meant by 15k RGB/Component? This mode the projcector seems to except.

KRIS
    Belgium

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    What resolution are you outputting from your PC? Are you using powerstrip to send a signal that your projector will accept? Your PC does not ouput NTSC, ATSC or PAL.

15K RGB is standard PAL-type signal (576i @ 50hz)

3. w8andc

w8andc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Thanks for the quick response.

Indeed I use powerstrip. I use the pre-defined settings.
    And that signal goes to the transcoder. The transcoder sends on his way the signal to the component input of my receiver and from the receiver I send it to my projector.

I have also tried to hook up my projector directly to the transcoder, but it provides the same image.

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I'm not familiar with the unit, but i know it's quite an old one (2000?). Is it supposed to accept HDTV resolutions over component? It may be expecting only a 480i or 576i signal over component.

In my opinion, you'd be better off connecting the projector to the PC via VGA, use a software DVD player, and running the VCR through the PC capture card and de-interlacing software. I doubt the scaler on the projector is anywhere near as good as Dscaler. What do you use DScaler and the capture card for at the moment?!

Sean

P.S. i see you have cross posted in HDTV forum also, perhaps you could try and direct all useful replies into one thread only?

5. w8andc

w8andc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think I tried almost every possible setting with powerstrip in combination with the KD-VTCA2 transcoder + Denon 3803 + Sony VPL-PX1 projector.

It seems when I setup my projector in the INPUT A settings to component no signal is shown and projector tells me on screen to check the settings.

When I setup my projector in the INPUT A settings to RGB I get a picture, but with wrong colors (greenish).

When I put on my VCR and set my receiver to VCR1 the picture (composite video) is upconverted to component video and through the YPbPr output a picture is shown with correct colors through my projector on the screen. The projector shows that a 15k / 50 signal is shown.

The question is: which resolution the DENON 3803 can output when a signal is upconverted and on the other hand when a component video signal is inputed?

Or does my transcoder work well?

Or can't my projector do the job?

Strange when I connect my projector directly to my videocard and set resolution with powerstrip to 800X600 or 1024X768 in interlaced mode, the projecter gives me a very nice image and tells me he is receiving a HDTV signal. I think I have found the best image for TV now with DSCALER + Powerstrip + my projector.
    I would try to use component video because I thaught it would give a better image.

At the moment I quit trying with the transcoder. Maybe I have to sell it or to resend if possible.

6. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The denon does not upcovert the signal, it still only carries a standard PAL 576i signal. All it does is transcode it from Composite or S-video to component. Yes, component is a better way to carry an original signal, but the Denon does not "improve" the signal at all, just changes it from one connection to another.

Why are you sending 1024x768 interlaced to the projector? You'd be better off sending it a standard progressive 1024x768, you wouldn't even need powerstrip.

If i were you, i'd give up with the transcoder, the quality from the PC via DScaler will be much better, assuming your capture card isn't totally dire. A cheap upgrade to a phillips SA chip based card instead of a 8x8 based card would further improve PQ with DScaler.

I'd also invest in a decent quality DVD decoder (Sonic 1.5 is what i use, much better than WinDVD 4 or PowerDVD4, not tried version 5 of either yet) and your DVDs will look really great!

7. w8andc

w8andc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Thanks for the response.

This takes everything in a different light.

What happens when a component video signal f.e. 720p or 1080i signal is going through the component video input of the receiver?
    Will it stay unconverted or will it also be downconverted to 576i? I don't find anything of that kind in the manual. But like I saw on different forums before I bought my receiver, the manual is very bad.

I now use the RGB signal from the videocard with Dscaler and an Hauppauge BT878 chipset capture card. It gives me satisfying image.

When I use 800X600i or 1024X786i my projector recognize it as HDTV. The Sony VPL-PX1 is a (data)projector sold in 1999-2000 which also can use 750 TV-lines for video. The last few years there are many innovations about projectors in particular for video projection. Also the manual of my projector doesn't say much about the component setting throug INPUT A (15 pins DSUB). Projectors are becoming cheaper, but it is always a huge sum when you want a new one.

You say a capture card with a Philips SA XX chipset is much better.

Can the FLYVIDEO 3000 of LIFEVIEW do the job and will it provide better image? Is it a possible candidate or have you other ones in mind?

Thank already.

KRIS
    Belgium

8. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54

If you're using a component signal, it will simply pass it from the input to the output, whether it's 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, or whatever else you want to put through it. It only converts when using the S-Video or Composite inputs.

I have no experience of testing with these cards, but if they're anything like the card i have seen here, they will do a better job than the 8x8 based card. To my eyes, the input, especially on composite, was quite a bit cleaner. The cards are quite cheap, i'd recommend you just test one out and if you don't like it for whatever reason, sell it. You'll lose very little money this way.

No problem.

Sean.