1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3803 or HK 8500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Postie67, May 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Postie67

Postie67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi

I am thinking of purchasing a new amp and was set on a Denon 3803 (audio delay, video up converter and Pro Logic 2) but someone may be selling a HK 8500. My speakers are KEF THX set, main concern is the 4ohm load of speakers, also Phillips 962SA (Hong Kong PAL Prog). May also be tempted by a Denon AVC10SE + power amp setup. Which is best amp for my setup.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Postie67

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Well, I think that I may be able to help, here.

I wouldn't get a non THX amp to drive a set of THX speakers. Those KEF speakers aren't exactly easy to drive, either, so I would have thought the 3803 underpowered. I have heard the 380x series driving 4ohm speakers (Miller/Kreisel 750) and they just can’t cope.

I used to have a A10SE, and the poweramp for a little while, and can say that at the time it was great (with one caveat), but now it is average. The amplifier part of the amp is good, but things have moved on processor wise. In addition, there was a problem with DTS audio and the A10SE (not sure if this was all models or some, but it certainly effected mine) in that the LFE level was ~5 or 6db quieter than it should have been. The poweramp sounded different (not as good) to the main A10SE when I had it on extended loan. I noticed that the poweramp used smaller capacitors and used frame power supplies rather than the high quality toroidal one found in the A10SE.

I, as the sig. suggests have an 8500, and this amp is a piece of class. If you want the very best sound, and aren't interested in what is, for many, superfluous extras there isn't anything to touch it, for the price. I have posted at length on this topic in the thread titled “Anyone tested/got the Harman Kardon AVR 8500”. Pretty much all my thoughts on the amp are there.

If the 8500 is too expensive, or doesn't have the features you want, then Pioneer are to replace the 2011. Now, I can't comment on how much grunt/features the new amps will have, but it may be prudent to wait if video upscaling or time delays are a priority. Normally new stuff is released in August/September.

Russell

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I've managed to test the HK8500 since my “Anyone tested/got the Harman Kardon AVR 8500” post, and I was especially impressed by the quality of stereo sound. Pretty much my only concern is the lack of audio delay, which I imagine I'll need after finding a plasma/scaler combi.

Mike

4. Postie67

Postie67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Thanks for info both of you. I am thinking of upgrading PJ to a PAna AE300 with source being Phillips 962SA PAL/NTSC prog (HK). Will the prog scan processing mean I will need audio delay?

Thanks, Postie67.