1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3803 different max volume setting limit on different inputs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by The Hemulen, Jan 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Got a call from my brother last night as his new 3803 receiver seemed to limit the volume setting dependant on the input selected. Can't recall exactly the situation but it was something like volume could be set to the full +18dB on one input, +8dB on another and even just 0dB on one.

Anyone got an idea why this might be?

Obviously don't try this with running signal sources unless you hate your ears, speakers and neighbours!

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same experience with my 1803. It's usually to do with how many speakers the input source is using to replay a soundtrack.

In stereo, I can turn the volume up to +17, in surround, just to +12. I think it's just the amp capping itself so it doesn't over-extend its abilities.

This also varies with the speaker loads being used. If you've got 4 Ohm speakers wired up the max volume setting becomes lower still.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    It's also to do with what Channel Level settings you have set for each mode. Having Channel Levels set at +5 for example will mean you can only have a max volume setting of +13db (18-5 =13).

4. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the very quick replies :) I'll pass the info on

5. nicksurrey72

nicksurrey72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 3803 with DVD2900 and Monitor 8Si + centre and Bi rears with Strata III sub also. What is the safe max volume on this setup? From memory I usually don't get above about -12db, not because the sounds is destorting, i just worry about blowing something!

6. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Depends on the sort of music/film etc that you are listening to really.
    Best advice is to just use your ears. If the sound has gone all shrill and screetchy (for want of a better description) then turn it down! Either your amp is in clipping (good bye tweeters if you keep doing it), or your ears are complaining, or both!
    With a seperate sub you'll be removing a lot of the strain from the Denon and the 8i's during films but will still be subjected to full range on music etc if the main speakers are set to large.
    But to answer your question, on films with sub taking care of the LFE I go up to around 0 to +5 max I guess when feeling noisy.