1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3803 bass settings on different sources?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rauer, Oct 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've already asked this in a thread in speakers forum but this might be a better place for it.

I've connected my H/K DVD25 with an optical toslink cable only and it's being used for both CD's and DVD's. The subwoofer (a humble Velo SPL-1200) settings that sound good with film tend to sound too bassy with music. The problem is that apparently Denon only has one setting for all digital inputs. So it seems that the way to have separate music settings would be using the DVD player's DAC's and connect it with a pair of RCA's to the receiver. However, I'm afraid that would induce an extra D/A/D conversion compared to using the digital pathway. Am I right? I figure that while H/K boasts about the DAC's used in DVD25, it's unlikely that the Denon's DAC's are inferior. What do you think?

So how's it that you guys find the best settings for different sources? Or is only me that want's different settings for music and film?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    For music I have got a HiFi amp that is fed by the AV for movies - Best of both worlds:smoke:
    Most CD players above the very cheap ones will often have better DACs than those in most AV receivers, although it is often not the case with cheap to midpriced DVD players being used for CD playback. I would suggest you get a pair of reasonable phono leads and try it out and see which you prefer.

Mark.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    I use Stereo/Direct/Pure Direct for music. The "problem" you have is using PLII Music as the amp classes this mode as part of the Dolby/DTS/PLII settings. You could use the analogue outputs of your player but you will get the extra digital/analogue conversion as you've said.

I don't think there's anyway round it apart from using a different mode or an analogue input.

4. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK, thanks again. Analogue route for music seems to be worth trying.