1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3803 audio delay

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Piers, Mar 11, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    First ever post having lurked here for almost a year, so be gentle please!;)

Thanks to all the great advice on this forum I got myself a Denon 3802 to partner a Panasonic series 4 plasma. Great sound but......Lip sync was rarely mentioned 4 months ago - it seems all the rage now. After 4 months of frustration with sound and vision out of sync I bit the bullet, sold the 3802 and bought a 3803. Brilliant, sound and vision perfectly synchronised from one DVD. Switched to another DVD - readjustment of the audion delay needed. Switched to Sky, audio delay needed another tweak. Got that spot on, changed channels and hey presto audio is out of sync again.

Am I just fussy or is it a case of having to set up the audio delay every time you change channel or change sources????

2. Dirk Dingo

Dirk Dingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst I´ve got the lip sync sorted for my dvd player, Digital TV etc is still out, but not by far. I just leave it set for the dvd rather than keep changing it around.

3. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it wasn't for the fact that I could alter the audio timing I think I would have had to put the amp back when I bought it as it was out by miles on everything.

I then set the audio delay for each input and have never had to alter it ever since. The TV, Sky, DVD, etc all have slightly different delays (I think, I never really paid too much attention to it but the TV didn't seem as far out as the DVD).

Certainly haven't had to alter it changing channels.

4. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Piers - I've found that my DVD audio delay settings are quite stable for most DVD's. In my case it's set to 80ms (I may have to change that now as I've just had my DVD upgraded).

However, I did have to change the delay for Scorpion King. For some reason the DTS sound track had a much higher delay than other DVDs. So far that's the only one I've had to change the DVD delay setting for.

Sky+ is another issue. When I had a normal TV and a Denon 3801 I found that the lipsync varied all over the place between channels and sometimes between programs on the same night on the same channel. I'm pretty sensitive to lipsync so I may see this more than most.

After upgrading to the 3803 I have found that a 100ms delay seems to be around the mid range for my setup with Sky+. Of course your setting may be quite different. I haven't had to fiddle much with it for the past couple of weeks now.

I think you will find that after a while you will settle down to some compromise settings. Of course there will always be the odd program or DVD which will have you reaching for the setup menu to change the delay, but as least we have that option. :smashin:

Pity the poor blighters out there that are still suffering with lip sync and can't change the delay ;)

Derek

5. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DJP,

I'm the same as yourself in regards to being annoyed easily with the lip synch problem. I would have sent the amp back if I couldn't have changed it as there was no way I could have lived with that.

I have altered the settings to suit each input but have *never* had to change a setting since. Only have the standard version of Sky and not sky+ but haven't noticed any difference in the channels I watch anyway.

Iain.

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    DJP - After a few more days playing with the audio delay I am coming to much the same conclusion as you. Most DVDs seem to need roughly the same delay (in my case 100ms) but there are a few that need significantly more (Eagles DTS needs 140ms).

Sky+ usually needs 100ms but on some programmes slightly more.

Someone else in another thread months ago said that most people are much more sensitive to the audio leading the video than to video leading the audio. Certainly works for me and the solution to constantly changing the delay on Sky+ material seems to be to set the delay slightly more than first seems spot on so ensuring any (or at least most) lip sync errors are video leading audio.

7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    This feature intrigues me - I don't think I'll buy a new amp yet but can someone answer this.

If the video is ahead of the audio then how can an audio delay function rectify this> As far as I can tell DVD video is fractionally ahead of the sound - or am I just stupid & can't tell what's going on?

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The video is only ahead of the audio having delayed the audio via the amp settings. The video is being delayed by the processing that takes place in a plasma panel hence the need to delay the audio.

9. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if and how audio delay can be used for dvd & digital tv (with 3805) assuming i skip connecting these sources to the receiver and instead hook them via HTPC to my plasma with DVI. The audio will obviously still be hooked up. Maybe i could connect an rca / svideo lead from the video output (that matches the the audio input being used) to a the plasma; It should be on a different plasma AV mode but hopefully i can access the OSD and the adjust the audio delay this way. Will this work; any suggestions?

10. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need to have video running through the amp to use the Audio Delay. Just adjust as necessary from the OSD. :) The Denon will let you adjust on a per input basis but the audio signal must be digital or be converted to digital (Dolby PLII) to have any effect.

11. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How will i get to and display the OSD; should i just use the RCA/S-video output (matching the audio input) to a different AV mode on the Plasma to display it? Also is the OSD accessed via the remote? Thanks.

12. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just replied to your post asking this in the other thread. :)

13. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's funny i didn't get an email reply - what was the title of the other thread again?

14. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0