1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

denon 3803 and arcam A85 -can the combination be bettered (in its class)?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ivor_Monkey, Apr 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope to finally place my order for denon 3803 (Hi Street Retail: £900) and arcam A85 (Hi Street Retail: £800). This combination I think will give me the option of very good AV sound and excellent music.

But before I take the plunge, I'd like to check with you guys (and Sounddog :)) one last thing.

Is there any other combination that I should be aware of that would give 1) higher standards of either AV or music (for the money) or 2) that would give about the same standards for less dosh?

Thanks

Pioneer DV737 (DVD), B&W 601s, Misison 77
    I know I should upgrade the speakers, but that can come next.

2. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I'm also interested in adding an Arcam A85 to my Pioneer 2011 and have a different query. Would I still be able to use my sub when playing music through the Arcam? Would I have to use the high level connections instead?

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I recently purchased the A75+ to go with my denon avr3802. I have been blown away by the impact on stereo repro and would recomend that although it is a fairly expensive exercise is a wirthwhile one. Going for an even higher spec version would only go towards improving it even more but for an even greater cost. If you've got the readies burning a hole in your pocket I'd go for it , but, if your spending that amount of cash I'd definately audition other makes in a similar price range.

Regarding using the sub - I can connect to the denon from the cdp with a digi opt cable to get the lfe when playing stereo music. CDP is also connected to arcam via anologue cables to drive the fronts. No conflicts as fronts are driven by denon only when in av mode where the denon controls the gain on movie soundtracks.

4. alistair

alistair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    look on the power buys for the 3803. don't spend £900 on one
    regards

5. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I use an A85 with a Marantz SR4200, and I'm very pleased with the combination. The processor mode on the A85 makes it very user-friendly.

I will definitely be buying a P85/3 though, although I haven't decided whether I'll use it to bi-amp my mains or power the surrounds with it. Eventually I'll fase out the SR4200, but since processors are still very expensive, that'll have to wait some time.

6. midlander

midlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Do it. I've got a 3801 and an A85/P85 biamp combination, the difference in stereo is staggering. I'm going to hold out for an Arcam Diva processor and then buy 2 more P85s (hint for John Dawson).

Martyn

7. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a very similar setup Denon 2802 and Arcam A85. I was never that impressed by the Denon's stereo performance but by adding the A85 music is now a joy to listen to. The A85 is an amazing amplifier and probably the best in its class and the processor mode makes it really easy to integrate with a A/V receiver.

I would thoroughly recommed your choice but before you buy have a look at the Rotel processor (RSP-1066) and power amp (RMB-1075) combination as this will give better HC performance over the Denon and it maybe as good as the Arcam for stereo performance but you will have to demo first. If you do go down this route though you will only be able to get 5.1 surround sound and not 7.1 as with the Denon, but you can add more power amps to the Rotel setup if this is important to you.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    When we first got our RSP1066, we used it with a RB970 MKII (2x 60w) amp and also has an RA1060 integrated.

With a Arcam CD72 there was little difference between the (musical) capabilities of the two of them. When we bought the RA1060 we compared it to the NAD C370, RA-02 and TAG 60i and found the RA1060 the best.

We've not done any A-B copmparisons, but would say the 1075 is at least as good musically as the RB970MkII was.

Having said that ... the A85 is probably a better amp than the RA1060.

Vikki

9. ChrisA

ChrisA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I am looking to add a stereo amp to my AVR3300 to improve on the sound supplied from my MYRYAD MCD500. I'm interested in knowing how it all works, especially the control.

SR78; Can you tell me what you mean by the "processor mode" on the Arcam?

Best regards

Chris

10. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The A85 allows you to set a fixed volume in the menu. When you press the tape button, the amp goes in processor mode.

By connecting the tape out of the A85 with an interlink to the front pre-outs of your AV amp, the fronts will now be powered by the A85.

It has the added benefit that you can now control the volume by just using the AV amp, no juggling to volume controls. The first time you use it, you will have to match the volume of the fronts with the other speakers using the test tone. You only have to do this once. The level of the fixed gain on the A85 can be adjusted, it needs to be turned way up to be usable, that's normal. If it hisses a little at that level, turn it a little back. Mine's on -10,5 and it works great.

After watching a movie, press the tape button again and the A85 reverts to its normal volume, meaning you won't blast your speakers because you accidentally forgot to return the volume back :)

11. johndickinson

johndickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Check Discount Electrical site sponser for the Denon 3803

12. ChrisA

ChrisA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks SR78. Sounds like the kind of thing I need. I guess I can programme my pronto to switch it each time I select a video source without too much effort.

Regards

Chris

13. Linken

Linken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should a A85 improve the sound if i add it to my Arcam AVR200 and if so is it a big or small improvement ?

14. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A bit off topic but ill ask anyways:) My a85 amps volume display shows going from 0 to a max of 76 is their a way of changing this to go from - up to 0? thanks.

15. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its ok ive just found out. It would help if i understand what i read sometimes:rolleyes: