1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3803 and 2800mkII and PCM 96/24 problem via digital

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by malimarek, May 13, 2004.

Tags:
  1. malimarek

malimarek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,
    I do not know if the question should be asked in DVD player section or Receiver section – anyway here is the issue:
    I have Denon 2800mkII (newest soft), recently I purchased receiver Denon 3803 (looks nice). Then to use at least some of the capabilities I bought DVD-Audio: Queen, A night at the opera with DTS 96/24 to be played on normal DVD Video player as 2800 does not support DVD-Audio. But the disc has in addition DVD-Audio track (MLP) and PCM 96/24 track. Here comes my problem I can not play PCM 96/24 via digital connection. DVD player shows the PCM 96/24 signal being outputted. Receiver shows “analog”. When I shift audio to DTS 96/24 receiver works fine and changes to digital (BTW 5.1 mix is very enjoyable).
    What I have done so far:
    Connected via coax and tos – same thing does not show digital (I use Monster (bloody expensive) cables)
    Player is indeed outputting analog signal and plays via analog
    I forced PCM – did not help
    Forced PCM on the player – player down sampled to PCM 48 (even with the PCM down sampling function switched to off) but then receiver played it via digital

So the revelation came out - maybe receiver can not absorb PCM 96/24 but I did not believe that so:

I ripped 3 tracks from CD. I used Wavelab to recode those tracks to PCM 96/24 (as a matter of fact it produces subjectively better sound quality although (Steinberg claims doing that it should not). I produced DVD on DVD-rw (Pioneer brand) with DVD Architect (great simple soft) and ----- everything plays just fine. Player shows 96/24 sign, receiver shows 96/24 sign.
    So any idea why my Queen DVD does not play vie digital PCM 96/24.

Regards. Marek

P.S. Do not be fooled with 3803 capabilities to transcode video signals from S-VHS and composite to Component – give really sh…ty, below any critics, results.

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The reason is I think simple - copy protected DVD discs can only output stereo 48 kHz PCM via the SPDIF outputs of a DVD player. This is a licensing requirement built into the CSS (content scramble system) licence which every legitimate DVD player manufacturer must sign.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. malimarek

malimarek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,
    this is what I was deep in my soul afraid off but I was scared to speak out. Thanks anyway. Comment would be: it probably makes a lot of sense in the aged minds of studio officials since someone could hook up some device and copy the 96/24 sound – well who the hell wants to do that if you can just rip the DVD, pull out the stream directly in its clean form and distribute it if you are bloody thief. For me, 42 years old customer is just a hustle and 2 extra cables, for my friend, just a desk away, is simpler – he says lets copy video section of that record. For my bedroom I stared to flirt with Samsung’s DVD 935 and their DVI enabled LCD screen – player could not perform up scaling of commercial DVDs to 720p – my friends answer was - just copy DVDs. Finally I have managed to hack the player. I am saying that since (as I can see) you are representing very noble company and I hope that you as a producer trying to explain to the aged content providers (I mean corporate geriatric brains) that not all consumers are thieves and they deserve possibility to use what they bought. I am typing from Poland (country known for piracy) and our experience down here is that those restrictions and coding, very annoying for the regular honest customer, are very transparent for the regular and dishonest thieves who just overcome them easy and listen to PCM 96/24 any which way.
    Thanks again for the answer. All the best for your business. Marek