1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cutlerg, Jan 10, 2002.

Tags:
  1. cutlerg

cutlerg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a yamaha a2 a/v amp and i'm considering buying the 3802, is this a worthy upgrade or should i be looking at something more expensive? I am interested in upgrading to dts-es & ex.

2. Suki

Suki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there was a comparison of the 3801 and ax2 in home cinema choice about 6 months ago - the denon won it by a nose

Take a listen - I found the 3802 slightly warmer but still with plenty of punch - its a great thing indeed but is it that much better - I t all depends on how well off you are i guess.

Some good prices around for the ax1 ( £800) - may be an option

Suki

3. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you'll find the 3802 a vast improvement in pure quality terms over the a2, but it does have the facilities you require.

Yamaha will soon be launching a replacement for the AX2 with PLII EX/ES etc, so if you prefer the YAmaha sound you could wait for this. But again this won't be a be quality leap over the A2.

You'll have to go for the New AZ1 or DEnon AVC11SR (or similar) for a significant quality upgrade.

Most of the expensive bits in quality amps are the power supply components and power amp components. Your existing amp will have quality in these areas similar to the 3802.