Denon 3802

Reaction score
I need some help connecting my new AVR 3802 AV amp.

The rest of my set up includes:

Sony KV32FX60U widescreen TV (3 scarts at the rear and S video and phonos at the front of the set)
Sony DVPS536D DVD player (2 scarts, S video, phonos and coaxial and optical digital)
JVC HR7700 video (2 scarts, S video)
Satellite box will follow in about a month

I have connected my TV to the DVD player through a scart to scart lead. I am using the RGB setting as I understand that this gives a better picture quality than S video or phono line level.

In accordance with the manual I have then connected my DVD player to the amp using phono to phono plugs. By this route I am getting sound through the amp. I have a coaxial to coaxial digital lead which I will use to replace the phono's when I have enabled the coaxial setting on the amp, as the manual suggest that it is preset by default for the CD rather than the DVD input.

The problem is that I cannot get the amp's on screen display to work and cannot therefore get into any of the setting menu's.

The manual suggests that a connection for picture needs to be made between the DVD and amp. I have tried both yellow phono to phono and S video to S video leads between the DVD and amp (in addition to the scart to scart between the TV and DVD and phono to phono between DVD and amp) without success.

I have been told that I need a scart to phono lead between TV and amp (in addition to the scart to scart between DVD and TV and phono to phono between DVD and amp). The manual makes no mention of this method. Is this right?

Before I purchase any leads I would be grateful for any advice. I want to achieve the best sound/picture quality available and would prefer to avoid phono connections and use the digital coaxial for sound and RGB/S video for picture if possible.

Thanks
Imran

Hi

Firstly to get the Onscreen Menus up, you need to connect the Amp directly to the TV, on the back of the amp is a monitor out socket (SVHS or Composite) without this connected you´ll not get anywhere.

Also ditch the Phono leads that run from your DVD to the amp and replace them A.S.A.P with a digital lead (Coaxial or Optical) the way you have it connected means you only have an Analog signal, no digital signal hence no Dolby Digital etc.

Just connect the DVD to the TV (RGB , normally AV1). The Video to the TV (AV2) and the amp to the TV via either the SVHS or Composite (Yellow Phono).

Hope this helps

cheers

Here's what you need to do:

1) Basic

You connect every piece of equipment up to the amplifier inputs, using as many of the following as exist on your equipment):

Left & Right Audio
Composite Video
S Video
Digital Audio (either Optical or Coax) (DVD only).

You connect VCR outputs on the amp to the inputs on your VCR. (Composite, SVideo and Audio L&R)

You connect monitor outputs on the amp (Video, SVideo and Audio L&R) to the TV with suitable cables. You then set the TV to "watch" this monitor output from the amp.

The amp will then output to the monitor, the video signal according to what input you select on the Amp.

The Amp's OSD is also output when in setup. You should note that, if the 3802 is the same as my 3801, the On Screen Display is only output via the composite monitor out if there is nothing connected to the s-video monitor out.

That's it.

2) More wires

If you want to benefit from the better signal offered by RGB from your DVD player, then, IN ADDITION to all the above, you connect a SCART cable directly from the DVD to another input on the TV. I wouldn't bother with direct connections from your other equipment; the intrinisic picture quality from tape of STB isn't really worth it IMHO. Bear in mind, though, that the amp's OSD will only be visible if you are using the input on the TV that is connected to the amp - ie not the one that comes direct from the DVD.

Just another thought, I agree with Jase, Nigels setup seems a bit complex. DVD should go to RGB 1 on the Sony TV as thats the only RGB input. When you get the STB it will also support RGB. So as long as your DVD machine will support RGB pass through (my Sony does) you connect the STB to the second scart on the DVD player. When you are watching the STB the DVD will pass the superior RGB signals straight through.

One thing to note about this setup. If you are watching a DVD and videoing off the STB you must turn off the feture in the STB setup which "takes over" the scart lead. I cant recall what this feature is called but it is obvious on my Panasonic Sky box.
This means the DVD and STB dont "fight" over the Scart connection.

As for the Denon amp it only outputs OSD on the composite output. Sony TV has one of these under the front flap. Or get a scart to Composite (+left Right audio) convertor to use on Scart 3.

Finally if your Sony TV is the same as mine the L/R audio from the back of the TV is variable (not line level) which is a real pain when connecting to an amp for terestrial broadcasts. This means the TV volume and the amp volume are in series. Using the above converter on scart 3 will also give you line level out put.

Rog

Originally posted by rnjones
Nigels setup seems a bit complex
Depends what you mean by complex.

With my setup, I only need to choose my source in one place ie the amp. I don't need to set both the amp and the TV up to see and hear the same source. TV stays on AV1. The amp does all the work. I find this very simple to use.

here here i agree i have an ax1 and find it easier to get it to do all the work i dont know if it is just me or a credit to the amp but i cant see a difference between the picture routed through the amp versus scart direct from dvd to tv (sony 7700-panasonic 36in)

Listen bud,

Go out and buy a cheap and nasty s-video to scart lead.
Wack the s-video in the monitor out at the amp and drop the scart into a spare scart socket at the back of the telly.

For God's sake don't start routing picture signal via the amp, only unless your totally screwed for inputs. It may introduce noise into the picture.

Originally posted by Snowman
For God's sake don't start routing picture signal via the amp, only unless your totally screwed for inputs. It may introduce noise into the picture.
It MAY, but it doesn't. At least, not on my 3801. Depends on the standard of equipment and connections being used.

Routing everything via the Amp is a VERY convenient way of operating.

Well said nigel if you use quality leads and equipment there's no problem and anyway if it was no good why would they still make amp's with all those video circuit's

1 creating more "noise" the more inputs that the unit has

2 the extra cost involved in intergrating it all in one box surely if the signal were at risk they would try and sell us something else to route the video signal through (another box)

by the way i am not saying for one minute that there is no deteriation in the signal through an amp after all it is another connection what i am saying is that on home equipment it is not noticeable with good quality leads and kit.

i have all inputs full on my ax1 and find no problem

Fair play to you all.......if it's an option you can't do without then yeah! If you going to spend good dosh on high end leads and components then you should try and avoid using this route, even if it means taking the dvd player connection only direct to you tv/screen.

KIT
Pioneer 503HDE plasma
Toshiba sd900e dvd player
Denon 3802 receiver
ITV digital receiver (for what its worth!)
Kef 5002 sub/sat 6.2 ((twin subs)centre rear)
Chord interconnects
QED silver Ann. speaker cable

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom