Denon 3802 vs the old yammys

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any views on this?

I have a yammy 3090 and DSP A2, now I've just moved my living room around I can fit in a 6.1 system:D

So the big Q is this...

How powerful is the 3802 compared to say the 3090?

I've heard different views in the past - as far as I can tell people say that the 3802 offers more clarity (plus all the new features such as PL II, 6.1 etc), but how does it compare with sheer "power"?

I love my movies l-o-u-d, does the 3802 sound stringent at high volumes? (the 3090 hardly breaks a sweat in DD at say -20db).

The 3802 does go very loud indeed. The loudest I've dared to go was -10db with the Gladiator 6.1 discrete track, and there was no sign of any strain. I think the What Hi Fi review described the fact that Denon quote the power output at 105w x 7, but in their test it got up close to 138w x 7. As long as you speakers can handle it, you should have no problems with volume (or lack of it).

Hate to intervene but there is NO WAY the 3802 will deliver 138w into 7 simultaneously!!!! (all these figures indicate is that the output devices etc on any of the seven channels is capable of delivering 105/138w or whatever. the transformer is nowhere near man enough nor is there a large amount of capacitance to counter this)
These sort of designs work on a power share basis and i would be surprised if the 3802 could deliver 138w into 8 ohms to a stereo pair only! even with larger than prefered distortion.
The amps ability will be directly linked to the speaker loads placed on it, 8 ohms is a lovely load for an amp but a speaker with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms may well drop to 3 ohms dependant on the program material!!!!
Some time back i had a 3801, up-graded from a Yamaha 795a and driving a Kef THX speaker package (a stiff load!) i thought the Denon lost control at fairly ordinary spl levels, in fact i thought the Yamaha rated at lower output handled the load far better.

Steve

I did see a demo which Martin Audio rated at 125w x 7, but this was using Mission 775e (91db) series speakers which are, admittedly, easy to drive. Obviously using more demanding speakers will result in loss of power. However, the 2 Yamaha amps I listened to before purchasing the 3802 did not compare, including the DPS-A1. The best advice is to demo the 3802 and see what you think.

Originally posted by Dom Rice
Get a life you sad man.

I'm somewhat stunned by this response, Steve.Ex was only trying to help, telling him to 'get a life' and calling him 'a sad man' seems utterly innappropriate. If this is all you have to contribute I would hope that you never return.

Dom Rice - not a very nice thing to say. Considering the harmonic nature of these forums, your post is out of place. If you don't have anything constructive to add to topics, then I'd rather you didn't post at all than post remarks like this.

Get a life you sad man.

I find this really sad. Steve is a nice Guy, one of the regular contributors here. He puts more into the forum than he gets out. He has loads to offer and HE IS RIGHT about the Denon.:mad:

I think Spectre sums it up nicely. This is not how we work here, if it how you do things, please just leave.

As a newbie I have to agree that the comments where well out of order. I have asked a few questions now and loads of people have helped and I just wanted to say ignore him and keep up the good work everyone.

thanks

Ian

As a relative n00b myself, I have been surprised by the friendliness of the forums.....no flame wars like many boards are:D

Originally posted by Adzman
Dom H.
Shame, you could learn something mate:rolleyes:
Adzman

Excuse me Adzman but isn't Dom H. sitting there wondering what he's done wrong :cool: .
The miscreant was Dom Rice :D .

Anyway I think Dom Rice has a point, he obviously owns a Denon 3802 and wants to hear that it blows old Yamahas straight out of the water.
The last thing he needs is someone intelligently presenting reality.

I'm betting he's the forums latest ironic poster......just a wind-up :) .

Yep ! just checked previous posts Dom Jolly has a Denon AVC-11SR ........

Originally posted by gringottsdirect

Yep ! just checked previous posts Dom Jolly has a Denon AVC-11SR ........

I think we can safely say that the AVC11SR blows the Yamaha's out of the water

Sorry, didn't really mean to offend anyone. Just thought, it was obvious that the new Denons were better.

:p

I would suggest, Dom Rice, a better use of words then. I am sure you werer probable just funning BUT be carefull not to be insulting. :)

Sorry, didn't really mean to offend anyone. Just thought, it was obvious that the new Denons were better.

:p

And you should now know that this clearly may not be the case :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom