1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 vs Sony VA555 vs Marantz 7200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dab, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Dab

Dab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advice please!

I'm trying to decide which of the following to buy: -
    Denon AVR 3802
    Sony STRVA555ES
    Marantz 7200

I've read plenty of positive reviews about the Denon but nothing in detail about the new Sony. The Marantz seems great but there appear to be issues around pops and clicks on some of the UK series as well as on the American model. All have PL2 which I think is essential for all those films on cable.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    The Denon will come highly recommend by lots on this forum, quite rightly as its an excellent receiver.

Personally, I´d go for the Denon but you need to demo the others (side by side if you can) and choose which suits your personal taste.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree..
    It has to be the Denon...
    You'd be hard pushed to find an alternative brand, that performs
    superbly across 4-5 models like the Denon's do........
    3801, 3802, AVC10SE, AVCA11SR, AVCA1SE etc..etc...are movie magic makers....

Adzman

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are missing the Onkyo 797 in your list...

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't disagree..
    Not sure that Onkyo perform as well accross 4-5 models like the
    Big D's do.......That's the beauty of these forums.......It's all opinions!

Adzman

6. Kevin Bracey

Kevin Bracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for the Marantz SR7200 - it was almost a no-brainer, given the price difference (£200 at avland, for example). I prefer the more straightforward styling of the Marantz, and the remote's a very natty little design - I greatly prefer it to the 2000-button thing you get with the Denon.

The only major omission in the Marantz (in my view) is that it's a 6-channel amplifier rather than 7-channel, meaning you can't straightforwardly plug in a pair of speakers for your surround back channel.

Other minor differences are that the Denon has a selectable (80/100/120Hz) subwoofer crossover, but on the other hand the Marantz's stereo direct mode is highly regarded (but no real use for me at the moment, as I've got the KEF sub/sat speaker set).

The Denon has selectable ProLogic II Music parameters, but doesn't remember any Pro Logic II settings on a per-source basis (and AFAIK you can't even switch between Music and Cinema without using the OSD - on the Marantz the OSD is only needed for set-up).

My favourite feature of the Marantz is the "TV auto on", which turns on the amp and selects TV as soon as it sees a video signal on the TV source, and turns it off after 5 minutes if the video goes away while set to TV. Even though I'm not routing video, I've got this activated, and it makes the whole thing a lot simpler for the less technically minded people in the house. I don't think the Denon has this.

Now, on the negative side, I somehow seem to have picked up one of the early models which have had a few problems and given the range a bad reputation in the USA forums. Most UK owners have had no problems (although some 4200 owners are reporting DTS clicks in a nearby thread - I haven't had this). I'm awaiting a replacement...

7. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Dont forget the Yamaha RX-V1200

But it might be worth waiting to see what the Sony is like.

For what its worth I and a few others don't think much of PLII on the 3802 (see mixed thread regarding 3802 & bass management)

8. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hello Kevin

Can you tell me what problems you were experiencing to want to get a new one

I have one also - and sometimes on the dvd layer change I hear a pop sound

Thanks

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Such as ?

10. Kevin Bracey

Kevin Bracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Search on www.hometheaterforum.com for the full list of potential problems. They seem to be mainly confined to the USA though, and to one particular set of early serial numbers (which mine falls in to).

In my case, I've got:

1) a fair amount of background hiss and noise; not catastrophic, but nowhere near as good as it should be - by the time you've reached calibrated reference level, even a digital source has very noticable noise
    2) speaker clicks when the muting circuit kicks in (including between DVD menus)
    3) switched S-video output being noticeably darker than the source, plus a brief loss of vertical hold on sudden light -> dark transitions
    4) loss of up to the first 1 second of sound from digital sources as it tries to figure out what it is (most annoying when chapter/track searching and on layer changes)

Oh, and the on-screen display summary says "MULTILOOM" instead of "MULTIROOM" :)

I'm not going to give it up though, as I like the design too much. I'll just keep annoying them until they fix the problems. Although I expect item 4 may be unfixable, but it apparently depends on your CD/DVD player as to whether you have a problem. Marantz DVD players work fine (of course), but Sonys don't. The other problems definitely only occur in those early units (and sometimes much worse).

11. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hello

I have the same problems with my SR7200 - exactly what you say

Can you tell me what you have done. Have you contacted Marantz and they have said they will fix it? How long will the fix take? Do they give you a new unit?

I find point 4 very off putting also - especially when the sound comes back it does make a pop sound that can sometimes be loud

12. Kevin Bracey

Kevin Bracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted my dealer last week, with a list of problems for them to fax off to Marantz, and they've told me to expect a replacement this week. Marantz didn't appear to aknowledge that they were aware of such problems, but they agreed to replace it immediately.

If you're getting a loud pop (which gets louder the longer it's been playing), then that's a worse form of the same problem - you're definitely owed a fix or replacement.

What's your serial number, BTW? The USians on Home Theater Forum seem to have reached a consensus that it's the "129" serial numbers that are afflicted. Mine's MZ0001290005xx.

13. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hello

Yes I do get the pop being louder the longer its playing also - especially on the DVD layer change - when it loses the audio for a split second

Have you noticed that the bass is deeper also? On some music I get alot more bass than with my previous Yamaha 795a

Thanks

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get problem 4 too. But I've been told this is not uncommon and that if I had a marantz dvd player it would go away. Not really ideal though. My supplier has already told me that this is a normal problem, so my only recourse if marantz direct. Don't know how to go about contacting them though.

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I seem to be the lucky one as my 6200 doesn't seem to have any of the above problems.

However, I do have a severe case of channel bleed on Pro Logic 2 where the centre channel sound is leaking into the rears.

When I telephoned avland today they claimed never to have come across that before but it appears to be a known problem with the current Marantz range.

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't get "problem 4." ? what's your dvd player ?

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Pioneer 545 but there again I have only played a couple of DVDs since I bought it.

18. Kevin Bracey

Kevin Bracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to update this, I've received a new SR7200. There was no problem getting a replacement; they ordered it for me without quibble and I just brought my old one in when the new one had arrived. It has a "MZ000145..." serial number rather than "MZ000129...".

The background hiss is better, there are no clicks, and the S-video output is no longer dark. There are still occasional losses of vertical hold, but only in a fraction of the cases that tripped up the last one, and it can only happen on a full-frame picture (so no problem on letterbox sources). The digital source pickup and "MULTILOOM" are the same.

Altogether, I'm happy enough with this box.

19. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Sounds like you`ve been sent a machine with tweaked tolerence on the PSU. The problems you mention are not a fault with the recievers as such, but down to the area where you live (belive it or not!) Call your local EPG company (power generator) and ask them what tolerence s they have for your mains voltage.

Some parts of the UK actually have 263vac as the norm (aberdeen for example) - Marantz (and most other av equipment) is usually rated at 230v +/-10vac, hence if you have a supply of 263vac you will have "odd" behaviour with noisy PSUs and video problems. The US problems are totaly different and never affected UK or European launch models.

20. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hello

Could you buy something to attach to the electric plug to handle this and make it even better - perhaps reduce the hiss even more?

I know its small things like this that can make a difference - like with my DVD player - I put it on a flat hard level surface and noticed the picture improved

Thanks

21. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4