1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 vs Marantz 5400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sarll, Jan 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I'm upgrading my Marantz 4200 and have brought a Denon 3802 off the classifieds. I demoed the Denon about a year ago and was very impressed but at the time it was way out of my price range. The Denon however is a couple of years old now, so how does it compare against something newer like a Marantz 5400 which can be got brand new for the same sort of price as a second hand 3802. I notice the 5400 has a few things the Denon hasn't like Circle Surround and DTS 96/24, and i'm guessing perhaps some newer/updated circuitry?

Any ideas?

2. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Marantz 5400 based on reviews of this model and the previous 5300/5200, no doubt seem to be good receivers, but why anyone would want to move from a Denon 3802 is beyond me.

I have DTS 96/24 on my Sony DB1080 amp, which I have as yet never put to use, which I doubt I will unless I buy a DTS 96/24 music CD (good if you're a big Queen fan). Have a search in the forum about this format.

I haven't heard either the Marantz or Denon, but would rather a be an owner of the Denon based on opinions in this forum and reviews.

3. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 3802 and it's been excellent, I should imagine that it will carry a lot more beef than the marrantz, also the denon is 7.1 rather than 6.1 if this makes any difference to you.

4. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought an SR5400 and think it's a big step up from my 4200 which also had a great review.

It's very powerful when using 5 channels (I don't have a center rear yet) with little distortion or noise and very focused steering and good clarity.

Private Ryan had my cats looking round the the room for the shells and bullets whizzing past.

I've not used 96/24 but all the DACs are 24bit 96khz which should give a very faithful analogue reproduction. In my experience it does with music also seeming clear and warm.

I also don't use Circle Surround but I'm experimenting to see whether DTS:neo6 is better than Dobly PLII.

I haven't had time to calibrate but my girlfriend and I still think it sounds brilliant and it looks absolutely stunning.

I highly recommend it.