1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 vs KENWOOD KRF-X7775D-S

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by titanax, Jan 24, 2002.

Tags:
  1. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd love to go for the Denon, but the Kenwood got's THX. To answer COMMON's qn about the Kenwood's THD:

Features:

THX Select, THX Surround EX, DTS-ES, DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro logic II, MPEG Multi Channel
    32-bit D.R.I.V.E. III, 32-bit Floating Point DSP, Linear T.R.A.I.T. for 5 channels, 8-mode DSP, HDCD
    2-way 4-line LCD remote control unit with Learning & Preset function (Macro Set Up, Mega CD Changer Title Download)
    Surround power output (All channel driven):
    (Front) 100W x 2; (Centre) 100W; (Rear) 100W x 2 (at 6 ohms, 1kHz, 0.03%THD)
    Stereo power output : 130W x 2 (at 6 ohms, DIN/IEC 1kHz, 0.03%THD)
    Terminals:

Gold plated RCA terminals for all inputs
    5 digital inputs (2 optical / 3 coaxial)
    Optical digital output
    10 audio inputs (included Front Aux., 6-channel input)
    5 audio outputs
    5 visual inputs (Composite, S-Video, included Front Aux., 2 component inputs)
    3 visual outputs (Composite and S-Video, 1 Monitor component output)
    Dimensions and weight:

W: 440 x H: 191 x D: 416mm
    16.8kg

Sounds like alot to me & its cheaper than the 3802....I'd love a reason not to get the KENWOOD.

Accoring to the KENWOOD rep. you can't coz' the THX kicks in maintains the xover freq at 80.

But then, these guys would just about say anything right ?!!

I will have to go in for a demo. Anything I need to look out for when I got for the demo ? I'd love some pointers.

2. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you can afford the 3802 I would go for it, but you are right to try and demo - make sure you do a 'blind listen' Kenwood v Denon, even if it means chucking a towel over the amp as you listen ! I remember a few years ago when I was buying a hi fi amp, every reviewer and mag said the Marantz amps at the time were the best so I demo'd a few amps that I asked the dealer to cover so I couldn't see them - The marantz came third out of 3. I'm guessing 90%+ of posters here would go for the Denon as I would but let your ears decide. Any don't get to hung up about the Kenwood having THX

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Demo the two and choose what you think sounds the best.

I dont know the Kenwood but know the Denon and its a blinder!

The Denon hasnt got THX certification or THX Surround EX but has got its own 6.1 Surround so you wont be missing out on much.

The Denon is likely to be more musical than the Kenwood as well.

I´d go for the Denon myself.

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also like THX on AV processors and amps, or receivers, but with your choice of speakers I think it is a must the variable crossover, if you want THX, you have the Onkyo 797, same league as the Denon 3802, slightly more expensive...

The Kenwood´s specs are fine, but you know specs say very little about sound quality... Anyway, I am beeing prejudicist (probably wrong spelling), I never heard one...

The most reasonable receiver I know with the variable crossover, and can recomend is the Denon 2802, it should be more than enough for the eggs...

5. Suki

Suki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently changed my 5.1 Kenwood receiver for the denon - the kenwood was model krv888d and on paper should have sounded the same - 100w per channel etc.

There is no comparison in the sound - it really is a quantum leap forward with the denon - now I know my kenwood was a few yrs old but I really was disappointed by the sound and would NEVER buy another.
    I felt build quality with the denon was a bit suspect as well but perhaps I just got one made on a Friday afternoon.

I am not too sure of the value of thx as well - the denon has cinema eq which is IMHO the really important bit of the spec and I also kind of feel the THX spec has been devalued- I bought the THX highlander dvd on r1 and the sound is terrible - my old vhs was better.

Nothing like some sweeping generalisations to get a couple of posts telling me how wrong I am ! ;-)

Suki