1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

denon 3802 vs 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by graham w, Feb 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone upgraded to this 3805?
    I have a good 5.1 mission speaker setup which sounds great using a 3802,would the 3805 improve things by that much?

2. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Graham

Not exactly the same as you but I recently replaced my 3802 with a 2805 and i've been very pleased. I also have Mission speakers.

I wasn't exactly expecting an improvement I just wanted to replace my ageing 3802 while I could still get a reasonable price for it.

The autosetup is a godsend, and surround sound is improved IMO (steering especially). This may not be because the 2805 is any better, I guess its probably becuase I hadn't setup the 3802 optimally.

I'm guessing the 3805 will be better than 2805, so I don't think you'll be dissapointed. You just won't be blown away!

BTW, I also had a Pioneer vxs1014 (the same as the 2014 minus i-link)for a week, and preferred the sound of the Denon.

3. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.
    Guess if you spend 800 quid you expect to be blown away!
    Will wait until the next generation of amps come out,probably dvi inputs from
    digital sources seems to be the natural progression.

4. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    no problem - but don't let me put you off totally. As always, get demo's etc, as you may find your own opinion totally different to mine.

5. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO, I don't think the 3805 would blow your socks off compared to the 3802. I upgraded to the 3805 a month ago from a Sony, and before that, a Yamaha. I think the soundstage of the Denon is excellent, with outstanding separation. It doesn't have the brightness of the Yamaha, but is miles above my Sony STR-DE 925. A friend of mine has the Denon 2802 and sounds amazing with a full Paradigm 7.1 setup. He asked me about upgrading to the 3805. I couldn't see the benefits of him putting that amount of cash down for the little increase in power and a few extra bells and whistles. His system sounds great now, and decodes everything dvds can throw at it. The microphone is great, but with a tape measure, you can set up the system pretty easily yourself. The 3805 is a great buy at the going price. You get so much for your money. But you have the beginnings of this great amp now. A larger step up may be the Marantz SR8500 with THX Select or the up and coming Denon 4806 THX Ultra II (much higher price range, but the step up you may be looking for). Hope that helps! :cool:

www.audioholics.com/cedia/cedia2004/marantzsr8500.php

www.audioholics.com/ces/CESprocessors/DenonAVR4806receiverCES.php

6. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too had the Yamaha before i bought tthe 3802,the Yam was a great amp!
    The 3802 was miles better though with pro logic 2 etc.
    The step between the 3802 and the 3805 seems too small to justify the extra as the volume and clarity is remarkable as it is.
    The hand stays firmly in the pocket until the next generation of amps is unleashed to incorporate some new form of digital trickery that just makes you run to the dealers with pockets of money!
    Thanks for the input,may use the spare cash to upgrade the dvd player instead.
    Not another thread!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: