1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 - user firendly?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by fraggle, Nov 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi all,

I've got one of these amps, I've also got an Arcam FMJ A32 + DAVE (never managed to sell it).

Does anyone else with the Denon think its basically a pain in the butt to use?

I'm for ever checking what mode the things in, and having to put it in the "right mode", for example I start playing a DVD and then realise there's no sound from the rears and check it and its in "direct" or something stupid.

The Arcam doesn't have this problem, it doesn't have NEO or DPL 2 either. Maybe thats it? Only provide a few sound modes for a simple life?

I like whatever I own to just work, invisibly, without any need to twiddle it every time I own it!

Wonder what the chances of swapping it for a couple of Arcam 10Ps or FMJ P25s are? I want me arcan setup back! :D

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I find my 3802 completely user freindly. I have configured all my sources on seperate channels. This allows you to select the source your using which has already been programed to the sound formatt I wish to use. (ie dvd to auto, tuner to dplII, sacd to direct etc.) No having to fiddle with the formatt each time I switch on since the denon remembers the last format you had it on specific to each channel.
    I suggest you read the instruction manual to get the most from it and learn how to configure it correctly before transfering your failings to this excellent piece of kit.:lesson:

:D

3. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's dead easy.

Basically I just twiddle for either 5-channel stereo for everything except DD/DTS. Had no problems really. Manual is useless though, just playing around with it's the best way to understand it.

4. Droogie 2001

Droogie 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I agree with the last two comments.
    It' s as easy or hard as you want it to be.
    When I first got mine I was constantly tweaking (for no real reason, just for the hell of it)
    But now I leave it in the modes I want and switch between sources as and when.

The manual is poor though.:rolleyes:

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    When you say "seperate channels" what do you mean? Each source has got to be on a seperate input, DVD, CD, etc.

And anyone who's bought any piece of equipment has a right to criticise it, even if others don't agree, even if that person hasn't read the instruction manual in the year they've had it, and is a lazy sod! :D

TBH I wish my Pronto had more screen room. I've got the major DVD controls and the amps "Auto" and "DTD/DD" (which also does NEO and DPL2) on one screen and any more buttons would confuse everyone. (the pronto screens need to have a high WAF :) )

Also wish the OSGs could be overlaid on the progressive output of the DVD player. Something the 3803 does I believe, then I wouldn't be prodding buttons not knowing what was happening and waiting for the rear speakers to burst into life :)

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Yep:)
    if you have each source on a different channel and configure it to how you wish it to be used it's there until you wish to change it again.

I'm also guilty of not reading manuals and shouldn't of judged you so harshly:blush:

7. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading the 3802 manual? Don't you mean deciphering? ;)

8. knightrider

knightrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well said guys, with regards to the manual.

Possibly THE most confusing and contradicting piece of A/V literature I have had to use.

:confused:

Getting to grips with the amp now, but wondered whether anyone knew where i could maybe download a pdf manual or something similar. Have been to denon.co.uk but the pc always crashes when trying to download their info.

Cheers

:zonked:

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    This is the 3802 manual in pdf format from the USA site. But if you have the manual already it's not much use to you!

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/3802_1082 Eng_Span DFU.pdf

10. knightrider

knightrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry, should have clarified. I do have the manual, so not really sure what i'm after....Just something more comprehensive, in plain English. I work in the a/v industry, but still find the manual rediculously badly written.

11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    The manuals are crap, can't argue with that. I tend to just play around with the amp/receiver to see what it can do, nothing like hands on experience for learning. Also worth asking on the Forums if you get stuck as there's usually plenty of members that can answer specific queries.:)

12. knightrider

knightrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers again Jase.

I've always played around first of all with all equipment i've got, and then looked at the manual later. I agree, it's the best way, but sometimes, small things need clarifying.

eg: i've connected my dvd to amp (monitor output) by s-video, and get a picture no probs. I did however, also want to connect my ps2 by optical. Problem being, my alphason rack and kit, is on the other side of the room to the tv. When i connect the ps2, and try to use composite to carry the picture through the amp, it won't have any of it. Am i right in presuming that i can't mix the way that i send the images through the amp, and that i have to connect ps2 by s-video also?

I'm pretty sure i have more questions, but will ask them as and when i can remember them! (should i start a new thread?)

Ed

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Yes! The 3802 only outputs the same video signal as it is being fed with ie composite in = composite out ONLY!

Now if you (& I) had a 3803 then that would be a different ball game :devil: as it upconverts the video signal.

Mark.