1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 - upgradable?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brad_Porter, Jul 24, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O.K. then, always been a little confused about all this but I am going to be brave enough to ask a few questions that you guys probabley cant believe I dont know!

1. What exactly does a pre-amp and a power-amp do?

2. Can I add these pieces of equipment on my Denon-3802 to make it sound better or enhance its performance?

There we go - I said it.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The power amp just amplifies the signal whilst the pre-amp handles inputs, decodes signals and everything else that is not just "amplifying the sound".

In almost every amp bar a few expensive designs, the box of tricks carries both pre and power amps together.

You can improve the sound of your Denon by using a seperate power amp but this isn't a cheap option.

3. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A very very short and simple answer:
    The pre-amp takes care of the signal processing etc. from each source (DVD,VCR etc.) and leave a not so strong (low current) signal to the power-amp. The power-amp gives a stronger signal (higher current) directly to the speakers.

You can add either a extra "pre-amp" in case of a new sound format (not totaly true, I think you use parts of the internal pre-amp in the denon), and you can choose to power you speakers with separate power-amps.

4. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys - thanks for the answers.

Will the power amp cover all 5.1/6.1 channels?

Also, how much money are we approximately talking here?

Cheers again.

IIm really looking to save some money and develop a bit of a good system over the next 6 months or so, do you guy recommend a power amp for the denon or a complete replacement?

5. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Are you dissatisfied with the 3802, or have you just gone "upgrade crazy"?

My understanding (limited admittedly) is that good power amps are pretty expensive (at least a few grand)

6. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest with everyone, I am selling my old equipment, saving up (real hard) for a few months and then buying something better and that can be condsidered more of an investment.

In short I want to get real good stuff (well the best that I can afford).

I know Denons are nice but I would like to enhance it with a power-amp to increae output and hopefully increae quailty at mid levels.

If you know what I mean.......

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Brad,

I think that you have a severe itch in the wallet.

I also think that perhaps you are trying to do too much at once, by selling everything and starting again.

For the last year everyone on this forum has been raving about the 3802 and opinion seems to be that it is one of the best amps that you can buy for the money.

By attaching a five channel power amp to it at £1,500 upwards you will probably get a better quality sound but you may as well sell your amp and spend £2,000 on a new AV amp.

I would suggest that you keep the amp as it is if you are also thinking of buying new speakers and see how happy you are when they arrive.

8. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian - Thats pretty much what I was hoping for as an answer.

I really just want to raise the capital enought to get some real decent speakers. I didnt really want to sell my amp if its good and I think it is really.

Cheers all.

9. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brad, just to inforce what ian,s said, i have a 3802 and to get the sort of improvements your looking 4 your gunna have to spend some serious dosh, stick with it angd get the speakers. ;)

10. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i phoned 7 oaks re simular question to brads ,how to improve 3802 sterio performance with (bwcdm1nts which i purchased from 7 oaks) they phoned back later and suggested an arcam p85 power amp at some £500+ but it seems judging by replies to brads inquiry one has to spend a lot of money to really gain an improvement,think ill just stick with what if got

11. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a 3802 , then i wouldnt bother with a power amp, you only need this if your amp is underpowered or you want to go the seperates route and get the processor at a later date.
    Ive got a Rotel 5 channel power amp connected to my sony 1070 amp.This was only cause the sony can manage 70 watts per channel not 100 watts as stated in the manual.