1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 to old?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bobby_Boucher, Feb 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Bobby_Boucher

Bobby_Boucher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any one advise me please?I bought a Denon 3802 amp a few months back with the intention of getting my AV system set up inc a TV, DVD etc, but things never go to plan and a major loft exstention took care of my plasma dreams:(

Now however I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but is the Denon amp i bought out of date already?I want a 6.1 setup with maybe Keff Eggs or Gallos speakers etc and a 42's plasma(for which i'm ok with choosing myself after reading posts here)

If the amp is out of date then how much shall i flogg it for on EBay?and what shall i replace it with?

Yes indeed as you can see I'm a kind of Noobie)
    Any advice will be good.:rolleyes:

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    If you're that much of a nyoob, you should flog your amp to me in the classifieds where I'm currently advertising for a Denon amp. You can even do this for less than £300 if you want :)

Seriously though, your amp is not "out of date". The 3802 is ace.

Mike.

3. Bobby_Boucher

Bobby_Boucher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll prob still sell it, I will put it on ebay tbh, and i've not even opened the box, it's factory new:)

I want the latest gear to go with the 3k Plasma which i should soon own:)

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Selling it would be a waste. I think you should demo some speakers and screens to go with it, unless you like throwing money away???
    If you only bought a few months, ago it was out of date when you bought it! So dont worry about it.

5. Bobby_Boucher

Bobby_Boucher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hardly think it was out of date when i bought it, i was asking if it was out of date now.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well denon have unveiled the 3805 amp the 3804 is on sale and the 3803 is being phased out, no more being made IIRC. so depending how long the 3802 has been in its box i think it probably is out of date and was. but thats not the point! The point is what it sounds like! So if you want to replace it so allyour kit is brand spanking new then fine but if you want the latest gizmos like PL11x etc then it is out of date.

7. Bobby_Boucher

Bobby_Boucher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im think it's time to sell it:)

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,101
    The 3802 does 6.1. (DTS-ES, DD EX etc, etc)So theres no need to upgrade unless you want PL11x.

Greg

9. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you really were/are after advice, then keep the 3802 until you have (nearly) everything else bought and in place. That allows you to think about the other things with confidence that the 3802 will not disappoint in any serious respect, and then, once you have the other bits (speakers, sub., dvdplayer, cables & interconnects, AV display, etc etc), you can ask again about what is worth getting to replace your 3802.

True the s/h value of the 3802 may have gone down, but its already down and there is a limit to what it may fall to. As you can see from my sig. I have the 2802, and will be keeping that until I really have made my mind up about processors & poweramps - I suggest you do similarly.

if you want to sell it, then put a price on it and advertise it here.

if you want to do the ebay things, then fine, but I doubt whether many of us here are interested

hth

10. Bobby_Boucher

Bobby_Boucher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks gang, some good advice there, Getting the plasma sorted this month:)I've got 3k to play with on a screen.

11. Contar

Contar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All I can say is why ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
    As you have stated you are going to get a nest of Kef eggs or Gallos and the 3802 will have these singing all day ( and night ) for a long time. I cannot see how or what a more recent or more expensive amp will get out of these basic speakers. No disrespect to anyone who has them. :rolleyes:
    If you really want a better amp then you better spend a lot more on proper sized speakers to make use of it. :lesson: As you can see I have a 3802, and its about 2 years old now. I have never had a problem with it and its used every day in them 2 years, :clap: on 7.1 sound.
    I suggest you listen to the people here, as you are doing for your new plasma purchase, :lesson: , and keep the Denon even just to try. I'll shut up now.

12. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    must say i agree with contar re 3802 most people on this forum that have owned /tried 3802 do not complain about its av abilities but are not so impressed with say 2 channel sterio.

i think you would get better results by keeping 3802 and going for higher spec speakers than kef eggs at least for front l/r and center, if you find 3802 is (not good enough you can sell on)

but wether you will get better "sound" rather than gadgets might be more debatable av wise

13. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    BB,

I did make you an offer for the 3802 in my "WTB: Denon A/V Amp" thread. Care to discuss it over there ?

Cheers,

Mike.

14. Bobby_Boucher

Bobby_Boucher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to everyone who gave an opinion on the 3802, looks like i will keep it and get some decent speakers(smallish ones if possible, keff egges or gallos etc)

:)

15. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    horny,

Where is the 3804 on sale? I ain't even heard of it:)

16. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would appear that there is no AVR3804!!

"Denon has revealed that it intends to replace its popular AVR-3803 AV receiver with a fairly major upgrade model, the AVR-3805 (the number jump apparently signifying the extent of the upgrade). Key features of the 3805 include:
    * 7 x 160 watts discrete power amps
    * Auto Setup and Auto Room EQ
    * Higher-grade DSPs throughout
    * Dolby Pro-Logic IIx
    * DTS Neo:6 - new 96k version
    * FireWire x 2 digital audio inputs
    * Denon-Link - 3rd edition capable of digital audio input
    * Denon AL24 Processing
    * Video-transcoding to component
    * Radical new EL handset
    * Upgraded styling and build quality

"The AVR-3805 will be viewable at the Bristol Hi-Fi Show soon, and is expected to go on sale in the UK in April for a price of under £1,000."

Posted by John Archer
    http://www.whatvideotv.com/news/fra...atvideotv.com/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=5450

17. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,101