denon 3802/surround a/b/sb speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by j.fitz, Feb 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. j.fitz

j.fitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,have just received the above amp[previous was yam a2]and am confused regarding the terminals for a,b and surround b.i have connected "a "for surround side .connected "sb" as sourround back.i have set both speaker sets as large[a are mission 78ds] [sb are mission 750le]my mains are 783 +78centre which are all set to large.[should they be set to small]i have set up the sb in the menu to on also.this leaves "b" blank.i have noticed that surround effects are not as sharp as my yamaha unless i increase the db's.am i missing something here .regards jimmy fitz

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The "B" rears are for an additional pair of speakers alternative to "A", e.g. "A" could be dipoles for movies and "B" direct raditating (normal) speakers for music. IMHO you can also drive both pairs at the same time.

"SB" are used for Ex/Es.

Level the channels with a SPL meter to achieve the correct volume, 'sharpness' might be due to the characteristic of the receiver itself though. Denons are said to be 'warmer' than Yamahas.

3. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,315
    Also set ALL the speakers to SMALL and all the bass to the sub and see what results you get. This generally gives the best results even for speakers that are large in size with good bass response.

4. j.fitz

j.fitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have gone in to speaker menu and set "a" and "sb" to small put with no luck.have used gladiator dts/es with auto detect flag on and other films and have tried various options on a+b .a+sb etc but to no avail.have tried dts version of fast/furious with matrix option which was all fronts/sub.sounds fantastic in 5/7 channell stereo for sky/cd etc . test mode produces same db on all channels but prologic 2 will not produce reasonable surround from simpsons/enterprise etc.hope someone can help.regards jimmy fitz.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you remind me what is your problem.

Gazza

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gaza39.........just look at j.fitz first post that will tell you his problem.

agree with jase...............set all speakers to small let the sub do the rest, if you can purchase/borrow a test disc and a spl meter for better calibration.

Mine is set.......... speaker levels 75db.
    speaker settings....
    front > small
    centre > small
    sub > yes
    surround A > small
    surround B > none
    surround back > small > 2 speakers

7. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,315
    Its also best to leave the Auto Flag Detect - OFF. You can switch the Surround Backs on/off from the remote anyway.

For certain films having the Surround Back speakers switched on actually takes away effects from the left & right surrounds. So you may find it better to have them switched off.

As I said this is only for certain films (End of Days is an example).

As bob007 said, set ALL the speakers to SMALL and all bass to the sub and then balance them all to 75db (you´ll need a soundmeter).

Cheers

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i have noticed that surround effects are not as sharp as my yamaha unless i increase the db's.am i missing something here

I would dispute the fact that the speaker settings (LARGE/SMALL) or the source material (Ex/Es or not) is at fault here.
    If the rears are not loud enough then you just increase the level, that's it. If he misses "sharpness" it might like I said before due to the different characteristic of the amplifiers he used.

Of course the above does not exclude the fact that setting certain speakers to SMALL can improve the sound but I think we are talking mainly bass then (which will be routed to the subwoofer).

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All speakers to small will also relieve the receiver of reproducing low bass, leaving more power to the speakers, with better sound, of course...

10. 2shy

2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats rubbish btw.:rolleyes:

11. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would be nice to have a reference to what you are calling rubbish, and maybe a statement to back up your claim.

If you are refering to Lowriders post, he is correct and its not rubbish.

Speakers set to small will direct frequencies from 80hz and below to the sub leaving the amp less work to do....speaks for itself really.

12. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the few that dont know, to reproduce low frequencies the speakers need to "move" more air, so the amplifier needs to "use" more current...

So we have two consequences:

The speakers moving harder wont be able to reproduce detail as well, the worst the speakers, the biggest problem...

The amp will need more current, that wouldn´t be a problem with an expensive amplifier, but receivers dont have much to spare...

13. 2shy

2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no evidence to suggest that the amp will sound better just because it dosen't have to produce the low frequencies. So, thats rubbish.

14. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Technically correct that the amp has too work less as bass frequencies produce a heavier load, thus there is more power reserve.
    As well it is correct that the speaker will also have less work to do, i.e. less information to the bass or mid-bass driver will make it have to move less air.

Thus I don't think it will improve the sound of the HF driver (aka the tweeter) by much, at least not to a point of a noticeable increment in "sharpness".

For any other improvements or changes in sound I leave it up to you to try it out yourself.