1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 SPL measurements

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Demon, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Demon

Dec 13, 2000
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

Just bought an SPL Meter to get everything correct... mainly its the sub placement that will be getting most of the attention...

So heres what I am doing...

1. I use the 'test tone' on the amp to set the main 5 speakers to 75dB..

2. I use a CD with 16Hz-160Hz Sine waves to 'check' the sub...

and here's the quesitons.

1. WHen using the Amps test tone, this defaults to 00dB, is this the same as setting the volume to 00dB and playing a DVD with white(or Pink) noise? This is important for the Sub setup, since I need to know what volume level to set when playing the sinewaves, so everything ties in...

2. There has been some talk about Denon being silly with the DD rference levels, and people suggested that you needed to set the speakers to 85dB due to Denon attenuating DD tracks by 10db) or is the 3802 simple, and 75dB is the correct level.

When setting up sub levels, I was using an 80Hz sinewave to set my reference 75dB (Main speakers disconnected), then checking from 16Hz to 160Hz in 1/6 octaves to get the frequency response of the sub, when I'm happy with the sub placement, I will then start ensuring the crossover between main/sub is smooth....
    Is this OK, or is there a preferred method?