1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 - speaker settings when using pre-outs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bbanduser, Mar 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys,
    I bought a Sony receiver off these forums and am using that as a power amp.
    The Sony is powering my front 2 speakers(I have bi-amped the front left and right speakers using 4 channels of the Sony) and it is connected to the preouts of the Denon.
    In this situation should I switch off the fron speakers in the speaker config on the Denon? I think I shouldn't because the Denon is doing the processing.

I also wanted to bi-amp the center in the following way - one connector is connected to the centre binding post of the Denon and the other is connected to the extra channel of the Sony(it is a 5.1 system with the Sony) and connecting it to other terminal on the centre (the pre out of the centre on the Denon is also connected to the Sony).
    With this config, when I switched off the Sony, the centre was so feeble,but I expected it to be almost normal,as the Denon was still powering it. Why is this happening? Am I doing something wrong?
    Should I not use the Denon to power the centre when I have connected the preout of that channel to the Sony?Am I missing something here?

2. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Surely some of you gurus out here will know more about this!!

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I must admit I have not even looked at switching off the L/R speaker outputs on my 3802. I did think that I should have done this the other day, but never got around to checking it. I'm not even sure if you can switch them off. Time to RTFM I think.
    When biamping your speakers you MUST remove the bridging strip between the 2 binding posts on the speaker. If you have done this then with one of the amps switched off only the treble or bass/mid speaker will be driven, which ever the Denon is connected to. This is why it sounded 'feeble'.

Mark.

4. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Mike! I knew I could count on you.
    So even if I connect the pre outs of the Denon to the Sony for the centre channel, the signal on the centre will still be amplified on the Denon?
    I have removed the metal connectors on the speaker.
    I just checked, and you can't turn off the fronts on the Denon.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yes, so you can add a power amp for biamping. Otherwise it would restrict your options if you could only use one or the other.

Mark.