1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 sound levels

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chiwan, Jan 13, 2002.

Tags:
  1. chiwan

chiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 3802 coupled with Kef eggs. At the moment for normal listening I'm using -30 to -20 and for movies i'm using -18 db (which to me is pretty loud). I was wondering is this a reasonable range to use.

I have connected the gear up myself although I was comtemplating getting a help from the dealer. On the initial tone test settings menu I have left all levels at 0 decibels which is the default.

Please can you provide advice on the best settings for this combo as I don't want to cause any major damage to my system/speakers

Cheers

2. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that why they are called "eggs"... They get easily damaged:D I don´t know about the eggs but I can listen to my Boston Acoustics Micro 90x at 00 to +05 (Denon 3802) for long periods (and that is LOUD) and I have not noticed any distortion nor physical damage (exept for my hearing ability)

3. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 3802 is in a reasonably small room (4x4 metres), for movies I'm usally around -20 (sometimes more if nobody is around).
    For music anywhere between -40 to 0, usually in 5stereo.
    My advice would be to listen at whatever level you like, but when you hear distortion, turn it down a little...

4. BarryK

BarryK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My room is quite large (23ft X 13 ft) and I usually listen to movies with the volume at around -12db.

5. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry what levels you are listening at. As long as you're not getting distortion then no probs.

It's imposible to be specific about these levels when compairing setups anyway, there are too many varaibles, e.g the sensitivity of the speakers being used affects the power level required by the amp a huge amount.

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best advise i can give is to buy a spl metre, as you can set all speakers to there reference levels, some say 75db some 85db, i have opted for 75db with all speakers set to small, sub crossover set to 90/95db.

The spl metre showed some speakers to be quite a way out with the default setting and with a set up which i had done by ear.

;)

7. chiwan

chiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, the main concern I have is that sometimes if I'm watching something the centre speaker shows distortion especially with shrill voices or high treble scenes - this is on a -20 to -30 db setting!!!!!

My current amp settings are

Fronts = small
    Rears = small
    Subwoofer = on
    Crossover set to 80 on the amp
    Treble = 0
    Bass = 0

I hope my setup isn't damaging the speakers. Also where can i buy a spl meter and how much should I pay?

Cheers

8. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    Chiwan,

What speakers do you have ?

9. chiwan

chiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mozzer, I have the Kef eggs

Cheers

10. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    sorry chiwan, i spotted your speakers after i replied!

Do you have the centre wired up correctly +to+ / -to-?

Are the speaker cones damaged in any way?

I have this reciever and your listening volume level is comparitively low so, that shouldn,t be the problem.

Try switching the speakers around and see if the problem is still there.

Kev

11. chiwan

chiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    everything is wired up correctly and the speaker cones are not damaged as far as I know.

The speaker wire is QED silver to the fronts and centre with QED micro for the rears.

I've only recently noticed the problem with voices although 95% of the time everythings okay. Watching DVD movies is superb but was wondering if I could optimise my set up better after spending the best part of £1500 on amp and speakers

Cheers

12. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    There are things you can try, but it may not make the sound any better , just different.

Probably the biggest experiment you can try is with your sub. This would include the settings and placement of it.

Also with your surround speakers. Are they at the side or behind ( there are arguments for both, try it )

There are also a number of tweaks on your reciever as well.

I have the 3802 with M&K K Series.

Kev

13. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is the only option open to you get an SPL Metre, bypass UR Tones you shouldn't need them.

Set up all speakers including sub to 75 db's you shouldn't go far wrong at that.

Every speaker even the same kind will output different volumes depending on room acoustics etc, everyone should have an SPL metre. There are 2 many channel vying for supremacy you need balance.

Regards

14. chiwan

chiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the suggestions - I think i'm going to invest in an SPL metre. Any suggestions on type and how much to pay for it?

Cheers

15. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have a Marantz SR-5200 av receiver (90W per channel) along with Mission FS2AV speakers (75W per satelite) setup in my livingroom (meduin-size) and I too have noticed that for DVD movies containing Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks, I had to turn up my volume levels to between -10dB (being loud) to +05dB (very loud) - I was watching the movie 'Swordfish (R1) on DVD a couple of days ago and I had my amp/receiver volume to +05 dB, and the huge 10 second explosion at the begining of the movie quite literately 'shock' the neighborhood! lol.

16. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Chiwan,

I noticed that you mentioned in your thread that you are using QED Micro for the centre and QED Silver for the other speakers.

The QED Micro may be too 'Bright' for that speaker, hence you hear the shrill.

Try substituting one of the QED Silver cables from another speaker and using it on the centre.

17. Droogie 2001

Droogie 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Good post. Kind of a coincidence I was going to ask that same question about volume levels on the 3802 and the KEF Eggs.

Some of you guys must have understanding neighbours +5db one guy mentioned!
    I've recently bought this same setup and found -27db to be more than enough, must be getting old!

BTW Since I've bought the setup before the Xmas period I couldn't find any stands for the eggs at all. KEF are waiting for another shipment which could take 2 weeks. The speakers are easily enough to get hold of though.

Managed to finally find some, you can't imagine how frustrating it’s been not being able to set the rears up, tried/risked dodgy cardboard boxes stacked up on top of each other but common sense finally prevailed!

18. chiwan

chiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    m.joshi

I'm using qed silver to the fronts and centre with qed micro only to the rears - sorry for the confusion.

I have a feeling that my system isn't fully optimized and am going to invest in a SPL metre or get the dealer to make a visit and do it for me.

Cheers

19. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on then, Who's got an SPL meter?, Where from? How Much?, Any Good?

20. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Greeny

You can get a sound meter from Tandys. I picked up the Digital version for 15 quid around 18 months ago. Well worth it for the money, its the only way you can balance everything perfectly, unless you´ve got amazing hearing!

21. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    Chiwan,

I have an SPL meter, where do you live. Maybe i can help with your setup.

Kevin

22. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    got my SPL from maplins.

£49

dvd