Denon 3802 & Ruark Epilogue II's

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CrispyXUK, May 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi all,

Ive had this set-up for nearly a year now and I am just not impressed :( if I play music in direct mode without sub their is heardly any bass even if speakers are set to large so they dont seem to be using their full range which is strange because they had loads when I went to see them a Ruarks building, also movies don't seem to sound particularly good either.

can anyone help and does anybody know the speaker settings I should be using for these speakers? I have Epilogue II's for fronts, Dialogue II for centre & a Log Rythm for Sub.

PLEEEASE!

2. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I find my 3802 fairly bland with music it doesn't suffer from a lack of bass (connected to Mission m74s, set as large speakers).

As an experiment try telling the 3802 that there isn't a sub at all (as opposed to just switching it off) and see if that improves matters. I assume you have got your front speakers connected directly to the 3802 rather than via the sub as that would have a signifigant effect.

3. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Tried it with sub turned off, I think is the accoustics of my room that is messing it up :(

4. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may be a bit obvious, but it just leapt to mind from your desription - have you checked that your speakers aren't out of phase? Try swapping the leads over on one of the speakers and see if that makes it better or worse.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Epilogues are not really big enough for mains I don't think. I used my Epilogue R's as mains for a while and while they sound super transparent and sweet, there is a lack of bass. I got the Prelude R floorstanders instead and moved the epilogues to the back where they integrate brilliantly. I now use the Preludes set to small with the cutt off at 80hz so they are working well within their capabilities and really sing.

As for the 3802, I never rated it for music although the majority seemed to. I think the 3803 is a big step up in this regard.

6. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Will check they arent out of phase tonight, its not a big problem as the Log Rythm Sub is one bassy mother :), I just feel I am loosing alot of mid-bass, I'd love to buy some power amps to ut on the front channels maybe this would imrove it.

7. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Maybe some heavier speaker cables? Or a mains filter might be worth a try too.