1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 & REL Q150

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by caylem, Nov 30, 2001.

Tags:
  1. caylem

caylem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a 3802 and a q150, but am still trying to get the sub set right.

I am connecting the rel by one phone lead to the 3802, at 0 DB it seems to quiet, but at +12 DB it is far too loud.

I have the REL set to Depth mode

Any thoughts??

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Hi

For starters set the volume level on the Rel to around half, leave the setting at 0db on the 3802.

Set your crossover frequency, if all speakers are set to small set the Rel crossover at around 90-95hz. If your fronts are set to large adjust the Rel crossover to about 10-15hz above the lowest frequency the speakers go down to: i.e if the fronts go down to 35hz set the crossover at 45-50hz.

Then you´ll be able to adjust the sub volume via the amp from
    -12db thru to +12. Just find the level that suits your taste.

If you have a Sound Pressure Level meter you could get it exact.

Hope this helps

cheers

3. caylem

caylem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

I have the three front Dyn Audio speakers set to large, but am not sure what the frequency or crossover should be.

I do have someone coming round to adjust in a couple of weeks time, but would prefer to get a better sound sooner

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    In that case, if you want to get set up straightaway (you can always change later) set all your speakers to small, this will direct ALL the bass from each channel to the subwoofer.

Set the subwoofer crossover to around 90-100hz (The 3802 will send all bass under 80hz to the sub).

Then you can adjust the sub volume via the amp to a level you like.

cheers

5. caylem

caylem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I experimented over the weekend.

With setting the sub higher in the sound tests on the Denon, I got good results.

However, the best results was from swapping the cable. With the in box cable I had to have the sub volume level set to 3/4. With changing nothing but the cable I now get the same results (if not louder & clearer) from the volume on 1/4

Seems like good cable does make a difference!!!!!

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are using the phone lead to connect to sub (LFE) on the receiver, you should not use the subs crossover, as you are already using the receivers crossover, just set the level.

If you will use the high level connection, the supplied cable, to the front speaker outputs, then you have to set them to large and set the subs crossover.

You may also use both, the phone for LFE, no crossover, and the other to complement your front speakers, if they are set to large.

7. caylem

caylem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the 3802 I have the crossover freq set to 80 hz and the sub mode as LFE.

On the rel I am connecting using one phone lead (as that is what the 3802 takes) connected to the 0 DB connector. Setting is Depth and mode 1. I am not using Hi Level, so that is set to min. Crossover is set to 59 hz, and that only leaves the volume.

Should I not use the crossover freq on the sub?

Also what is a reasonable db level on the test tones on the 3802?

8. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar set up to this, a Denon 3802 and REL Q150 sub, however I have tried all the setting described in this post and still cannot get rid of an annoying hum from the sub, It is really noticeable in quite scenes when using pro logic 2 or stereo. The only way of reducing it (can still be heard if listening for it) is to turn the volume to almost zero on the sub (1 up from zero) and then turn the sub level up on the amp to +12 and connected via the +12db socket. If I select slam on the sub the effect is far worse. I have a Ixos 5m Sub cable.

N.B. There is a slight hum with the amp turned off, but this is bearable, its only when the amp is turned on that it gets worse.

Has anyone any thoughts on how I can get rid of this ‘hum’ its stopping me use the amp in pro-logic 2 mode.

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you use position 2 in the REL, it bypasses the sub´s crossover for low level entry, so it wont matter what you set it for.

I had hum when I connected my Rotel amp, it went away when I replaced the power chord for another without the earth connected...

10. caylem

caylem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried all different settings and cable and still can't ged rid of the hum.

Is this a fault with the sub, or cable?

Lowrider- did you replace the power cable that came with the sub??

I have not tried the hi level connections yet

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem was with the earth connection of the amplifier, not the sub, so I disconnected the earth on both amps...

12. caylem

caylem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lowrider - Do you mean the earth on the power cable of the amp?

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Is it only when you are connecting using LFE ?

As well as not getting (or knowing how to) set the sub right and the hum, it seems very quiet in Prologic?

13. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes...

14. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand this, the Denon 3802 is a class two product and does not require an earth. On my unit the earth pin on the plug is plastic and the cable to the unit is two core, namely Live and Neutral so does not carry an earth, and thus there is no earth connection to disconnect from the unit.

I have not explored mains plug on the REL Q150 yet (difficult socket to get to), but again this is a class 2 unit so does not require and earth (you can tell a class 2 unit becuase it has 2 squares on the power label at the back one inside the other). The cable going into my REL is 3 core, thus has an earth, but the earth pin on the REL socket should not be connected to anything within the sub.

I can't therefore see the benefit of removing the earth from either of these products to remove the hum.

15. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To get the best possible sound from the REL Q150 together with 3802 in all modes try this!

Connect the high level Neutrik cable to your front L & R speaker out on the reciever.

Set front speakers to large (even if you use "small"speakers)

In stereo mode without connecting you phono set the right crossover and High level gain. Now you have the absolute best performance in stereo.

Set the rest of your speakers to small. Connect phono to sub Try
    0 dB 1st.

In reciever - Set sub mode to LFE (Not LFE+main)

Play a test sequence (Pref. test signal 20 to 120 Hz) through only the Right front ch thereafter in right surrond ch and set the Lo level gain to get more or less equal volume.

Now play the same test sequence through Only the LFE ch and adjust the LFE setting on the reciever to your preference.

This way my setup went from avarege to near perfect.

/Anders