1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 receiver to denon poa 2200 amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pwhpaul41, Jul 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. pwhpaul41

pwhpaul41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dear av forum
    A couple of years ago i bought a denon 3802 recveiver to go with the speakers i already owned.. a pair of klipch cf-3's and a pair of klipsch ksp-400's....and then recently a friend of mine gave me a denon poa 2200 amp...
    I know nothing about amps and dont even know if it will hook up to my receiver or not. it's got two jacks on either side labled normal and cd and then its four places to hook up speakers..i have no idea what normal and cd means or where it goes. any help would be very much appreciated..I've had the amp now for about a year and its just been collecting dust because i don't know how to hook it up...
    paul

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    A little research shows the POA 2200 is a 300+300 watt (4 ohm) power amp. The best way to connect it is to take the pre-out for front left and right of your 3802 to the normals on the POA, then disconnect your front left and right speakers and connect them to the speaker outs on the power amp. When listening in stereo the 3802 will act like a pre amp and the work will be done by the POA. When listening in sourround the 3802 will provide power for the center and rears.

This was a highly considered amp in its day, but may well be showing its age now. Only a listen will determine if it is up to the job. Also it is pointless if your speakers are not able to handle a big amp.

3. pwhpaul41

pwhpaul41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cable monkey
    Thanks for the info,it's greatly appreciated. What is the cd input for? I wouldn't think it hooked to the cd player if the receiver is acting as preamp. but then
    again i've never had an amp before on my stereo..so it's all new to me...
    thanks again
    pwhpaul41

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    My first decent setup was a Marantz CD75SE straight into a Rotel power amp. The Marantz had a digital volume control variable from the remote. It is possible this was also a feature of some Denon CD players too. Otherwise leave the CD player where it is, it is fine there.