1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by yatesd, Jul 25, 2002.

Tags:
  1. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Finally got around to plugging my new 3802 into existing sytstem and have 2 potential problems.

I am feeding the Front outputs through my existing Hifi (Audiolab Pre + Power), I have set the Audiolab volume to 12.00 and then had to set the Fronts volume level in the Denon to 2 db more than the other channels to get the same volume.

When up close to the fronts (B&W P4s) you can hear a low hiss all the time - even when there is no source being played through?? Anyone got any ideas on this??

The second problem is that I feed the DVD picture via RGB straight to TV and bypass video switching in Amp, for everything but cable and video which go through amp and into seperate scart connection on the TV. However when I am watching a DVD and I change any settings on the Amp (Surround Mode for instance) the picture goes seriously wobbly (unwatchable for about 7 seconds).

It seems like the Denon is inflicting a conflict on the TV (Video signal) even for Audio only modifications. Anyone know of a way around this.

Previously I had a Yamaha E800 in exactly teh same configuration and this did not suffer from either of these problems!!!

Thanks,

Dave.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Hi

Is the dvd player only connected to the TV and not to the amp at all (apart from audio)?

I have my dvd connected via RGB scart to AV1 on my TV and also to the amp via S-Video and the amp is connected to the TV via S-video (Monitor Out) to AV2. The screen will wobble as it displays the OSD when I change any settings BUT only on AV2, it doesnt affect AV1 at all.

Not sure about the hissing problem, have you checked all the cabling?

3. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jase,

Thanks for the reply. At the minute I only have the DVD straight to the TV. Why do you need the S-Vid out from DVD to Amp as well?? Otherwise it sounds like the same setup.

However I am not using the OSD to change settings merely things like rotating through Matrix settings (On OFF and the like).

I would have thought that that should not affect the video image.

I haven't done a complete check of cabling will have to do that later.

Cheers,

Dave.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    I have mine connected via both for the OSD and for use with test discs such as AVIA for balancing the channel levels. Means I don´t have to keep switching back and forth between channels to see whats onscreen. On AV2 I can have the test disc picture & the OSD at the same time yet keep AV1 (RGB) for the best quality picture.

On mine each time you change something it appears on the OSD (even volume levels), its possible to switch off Video and/or the OSD though. Assuming its on AV2 then I can see it, on AV1 nothing (obviously!:) )

Bit odd that your picture wobbles when the dvd is´nt connected to the amp:confused:

5. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough, I understand now, I am still waiting for my copy of Avia to come through but might be worth me getting a S-Vid as well.

My guess on what is happenning is that the OSD is trying to display and the TV is actually messing up the picture by not correctly resolving the two images that are coming through.

I will try and play with the OSD settings later and see if I can get around the problem that way.

Cheers,

Dave.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Just a thought. Is the dvd connected to cable box, video, anything that could pick up its video at all?

Might be worth disconnecting it all (pain!!) and starting over bit by bit, seeing which one causes the problem.

7. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVD has three connections at the minute

1) RGB (Squart) to TV
    2) Digital Interconnect to Denon for Audio
    3) Standard interconnect to Audiolab amps for CD output.

Must admit to connecting it all in a hurry in that kid in a sweetshop mad rushed way.

Basically did the same as my old Yamaha which I have done so many times before.

Dave.

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Hmm, its a weird one!

Must be something to do with the cable between the amp & tv. Check this. Leave only the dvd connected to the TV and only the amp connected to the TV, disconnect all other video sources from the amp and see what happens. I assume you have dvd to AV1 and the amp going into AV2 or similar?

9. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, that is my config, DVD -> Av1 and AV Amp -> AV2 (this supplies standard TV, Video and Cable support).

I will try your suggestion tonight and see if that helps.

Would prefer to be able to keep the OSD settings working as they are useful, so another solution to the problem would be great.

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    By disconnecting all video sources that go into the amp you should narrow it right down. If it still does the picture wobble then it can only be the amp and/or cable (or the TV!). If its fine then it must be one of the other sources thats causing the problem.