denon 3802, please help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by keyser, Oct 27, 2001.

Tags:
  1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got my Denon 3802 (looks awsome in gold color sitting on top of my Pioneer 737 also in gold color, is it a prob to have the amp ontop, I did this because of the short coax cable?) and I´m having problems setting it up. Why is it when I watch a DVD movie (my player is plugged via coaxial cable) and the menu of the movie appears the amp puts on prologic 2 not dolby digital, and how can I switch between pl2 and dd? And also, is there a way that I can memorize like when I put the amp on VCR it automaticaly switches to pl2 and when I put on DVD it goes auto to DD? And also memorize setting like speaker volumes indivudialy for pl2 and dd, because the center seems too loud when I turn on pl2? Thanks.

2. dochall

dochall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will find that it will should switch automatically.... the soundtrack on the dvd is probably stereo for the menus and 5.1 for the movie itself and potentially some of the extras (but not necessarily)

Play a movie with a 5.1 soundtrack and check the dd light on the left hand side of the display this should show that it is dd (as well as the main display)

If this is happening it's right.

For VHS it will probably switch to pl2 which is what you (probably) want it to

Having the amp sitting directly on your dvd player is not a good idea buy a longer cable (justified by the potential damage you could do).

Regards

3. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    These coax cables are very expensive and the store didn´t even have it in longer than 75cm, what damage could I do by having the amp ontop, can´t I avoid this by having something small inbetween ??

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,958
    Have you used the set-up menu to assign the digital input to the dvd? Have you also got the analogue stereo pair connected? It may be looking at the stereo input rather than the digital.

Have you also set up the sound levels using a sound meter? That may be why the center sound louder, but it doesn' explain why it's louder in just PL2 only.

I must admit the manual, remote and the way you have to have it connected up to see the on screen display leaves a lot to be desired.

Gary

5. dochall

dochall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's heavy and can get hot and you should have the required space around them.

The kit is not designed to sit one on top of the other. You've paid the best part of a grand for the amp. Why take the risk? A 1m ixos cable is £25 for coaxial.

You could knock something up out mdf to protect the dvd.

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The amp will show pl2 in the menu mode, i.e audio set up scene selection etc, it will only switch to d/d, dts when a d/d, dts soundtrack is detected. The amp also has a memory, when you swich the amp on it will select the sound mode you were listening to when you switched it off. Switch the amp off in video pl2 mode, video pl2 will be selected when you switch it back on. Try and get a sound level metre it makes a hell of a difference. As for channel level, i have the denon 3801, i can assign different levels to stereo, widescreen, 7.1 stereo, rock, disco etc, but when neo6 cinema/music, d/d, pro logic is selected one setting affects the other, so individual levels can`t be set. Iv`e had my 3801 for a while and still finding new features. :rolleyes: