1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 Owners, Help Me Please?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Pollywoggle, May 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Simple answer required hopefully?!
    Just bought one of these from the classifieds but the manual was written by a microscopic ancient Egyptian, not only does it confuse me but the tiny print demands I go to specsavers on Monday, I can barely see it.
    I want to balance the channel levels and calibrate everything to 75db using Video Essentials but I cannot figure out how you do this without using the amps test tones ( ie I want to use the tones from the dvd player playing Video Essentials Test Tones)
    At the moment I am sitting with the morg's spl meter in my hand, playing VE trying to figure out which button lets you adjust the levels! Wife is missing Casualty which I promised would be viewed in perfect balanced sound and she is giving me grief.
    I have everything connected up ok so a very simply explained answer would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in anticipation!

2. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi.

Do you have the amp connected to your TV so you can use the on screen display?

Sigs

3. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes I have it connected up with a video lead and have set all the speaker sizes to small and all that stuff, I have seen the channel level auto and manual question but it seems to want you to use the amps test tones. I know I am missing something blindingly obvious but I am sure you are going to tell me soon, pant pant!

4. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Ah, is it that button on the front of the unit Channel Level, I wonder, ie play VE and press that button?

5. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    :blush: ........I've never used the amp in the way you're describing and I keep "seeing" my new Sony STR-DB5000's setup screens in my mind's eye!

Hopefully you will have it sussed by the time you read my rather unhelpful reply ;)

Sorry I can't be of any help - fingers crossed!

All the best,

Mark

PS lmk how you get on and what you think of the amp... I thought it was fantastic.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yep, that'll be the one. Each time you press the button it will display the settings for a different speaker. Press it until the speaker you want to adjust is displayed and then turn the dial to turn the level up or down.
    I would suggest you set the speaker volumes with the internal test tones via the setup menu first and then use the VE disk to fine tune them.

Mark.

7. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks for that, levels set at last, hopefully can watch some films now, will get back to you on the amp Siggy, looks like it will be a lot of fun!

8. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bear in mind that when using the front control to set the channel levels, it will be specific to the amp mode in use. ie digital in, analogue and ext 5.1 are all indepandantly adjustable. Handy to completely switch of sub when using Direct etc.

9. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This has proved useful, cheers guys. I had to turn down my centre and bump up my rears quite a lot for equal amp test tones. I might try again with better tones. Music sounds a lot more balanced now.