1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 output

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ged, Oct 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Since upgrading from a Sony 930 I have noticed the "volume" knob of my Denon now has a numerical value, mostly played at - 8db for cd. Does this mean I am pushing the Denon too much? The Sony used to be set at between 9 annd 11 with some power reserve i.e - 12, are the two similarly powered ?
    Thanks Ged.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,546
    why don't you check the power ratings of the 2 amps, and compare?

But as the sony has a standard 0-10 dial, you can't really compare it with the -db dial of the denons.

3. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sure, on paper some things can be un/equal that is why I wondered if I was pushing the Denon to its max.
    The Sony did seem easier to set up, 2ch for music and AFD/mode for dvd etc, I now have to faff with sub settings for CD etc.

4. 170out

170out

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know anything about the Sony, but with my 3802 the volume can be set at, say -10 and if you switch between the different modes it will not have the same loudness on any 2 (PL2, 7 channel stereo ect). As for pushing it to much at -8 as long as it has the proper clearance for ventalation, it will run all day.

5. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Ged,

A t -8db you are certainly not pushing your 3802 too hard ( dont know what speakers you have though )

At any -db it is certainly running within it's capacity. At 0db it is at Reference level ( bleedin' loud ) and anything over that may be pushing it too hard , which is probably too much anyway.

Cheers
    Kev

6. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find that most films are loud enough at about -16db...don't usually go louder than that.